Epilogue

KAILEY~

“Flames, you’re up in a minute.”

I could hear them counting down for us. I could hear them cheer louder and louder as they near zero. I could see our band logo flashing up in the screen. I could already feel the adrenaline pumping me up and I’m not even on stage yet.

Fifty-four, fifty-three, fifty-two...

 “The final, closing act gets to be done by Flame Alyconia, amazing,” I hear August say to himself. “Look at all those people who had been with us all throughout this night!”

“They sure are a very good crowd, aren’t they?” Terence comments. “I bet their legs hurt already.”

There are more spectators than what the club expected. Good thing the venue had always been on open grounds. It’s that time of the year again when CJA’s up for another batch of applicants, and this time, we’ve got—cue drumroll—thirteen bands applying!

“Oh,” I say, getting the boys’ attention. “We all know why they’re staying up this late. We know who they want to see.”

Even if I was trying to hide it, I believe they saw the smirk on my face.

Thirty-six, thirty-five...

Keana goes ahead on stage while the lights are still out. She adjusts herself on her little ‘throne’ and probably has mistakenly pressed on the bass drum’s pedal. The crowd goes crazy over the single note that resonates from the speakers.

Twenty-nine, twenty-eight...

“We’re going, Kailey.” August pats me on the shoulder and proceeds to his usual spot—the left side facing the stage. Oliver follows and goes in front of a microphone stand. Now it’s just me and Terence left backstage.

Twenty-two, twenty-one...

Somebody passes by in front of me. I fail to catch a glimpse of his face, but I do know that the person’s a boy. “Hi, sexy!”

“Oh shut up, you,” I say.

Seventeen, sixteen...

“Oh well, guess we need to get going, lead singer.” Terence finally runs to the stage, fixing the strap of his guitar. He hits one string and the crowd goes crazy again.

If they loved that so much then they’re going to love the upcoming album. Thank you to the sound engineers and producers from CJA itself.

Ten! Nine! Eight!

Hell, I guess this is it.

Seven! Six! Five!

I find my position on stage, eye the anticipating crowd, before the blinding lights would flash at us.

Four! Three!

I draw my microphone near my lips.

Two! One!

“Castleburn, the Flames are going to burn this house down!” I scream, in unison with the chords and notes played all at once.Then there goes the fireworks that spring from almost under my feet. Then the fog. Then the lights ranging from yellow to orange to red. Amazing.

I start singing one of our favorite compositions, an upbeat melody, yet with harsh, loud instruments complemented with Oliver’s voice. Castleburn High has heard of it quite a few times, since I usually sing it when I pass by the corridors. Oliver would sing the song too, and he’s so popular with the girls so yeah.