Ch 35: Fate And Consequences

TREVOR~

Nobody even questioned why. All of them leave the room without a word and I had no choice but to follow. Everybody knew of this special bond between Terra and her acquaintance. Well, formally she’s called acquaintance since Terra is her mentor but it’s just so clear that they’re more than that.

I let everybody else go out first. When everybody cleared, I held the doorknob and pause, hoping that Terra would call out to me and ask me to stay. However as I look back all I see are eyes waiting for me to get out and disappear. With a sigh I heavily step out of the room. I look at Kailey for the last time, wishing that the crybaby would be able to handle the situation.

Everybody in the hall was a complete stranger to me again. There are just too many people hindering me to do the slightest movement, given that the corridor before Terra’s room is typically narrow for a hospital.

I know what I have to do. If Kailey’s with her mentor, then I should be with mine. Chris still has a lot of things to set right.

The last person I believe would approach me in this pool of strangers actually comes to me, apparently in a rush. “You’ve seen Kailey?” Oliver asks. After giving him a wrinkle of my nose I point to Terra’s room. He nods and releases a sigh, out of relieve presumably, then turns to the opposite direction. For a person who’d treated me like crap, I figure that it’s just fair for an exchange of info.

“Hey,” I call out to him, not even bothering to mention his name. Thankfully he knows I’m referring to him. “Where’s Chris?”

“Basement,” he replies immediately. “Reception hall, with Hannah.” After a blink of an eye he disappears from my sight.

The mention of the woman’s name, however, had me furious again. What the hell is that man thinking at a time like this? He lost their baby! Terra’s critical! And he lets Hannah step in here at this kind of time?!

You may practically hear the flooring whimper in pain as I stomp my way out of this mass of people. I hate Chris. A part of me wants to knock some sense into him the moment I reach the basement, yet another part of me screams ‘no’ because I owe a lot to him, frankly speaking.

Anyway, no amount of dispute going on within my mind would stop me from taking the elevator and proceed to the basement. I immediately recognize the tattooed bearded guy with a beanie talking with a lady rather seriously. I step back to observe. The sight of them got me regretting my thoughts a while ago. Chris, well, he is being passive-the pitiful type of passive. Whereas Hannah—oh no—she’s literally turning red from anger. Though she’s good at keeping her voice subdued at a public place, but I bet if the people and the open doors aren’t near them I’d be able to hear.

Then, to my surprise, Chris angrily slams some papers on the floor, and pulls fistfuls of hair using both hands. He trudges away, leaving poor Hannah to pick up the papers, which she unfortunately doesn’t.

I never liked that woman anyway. I hurry to catch up to Chris, who happens to take the corridor to the ENT wards. Too random and not in his senses, I’d say.

He reaches a dead end. I take a few moments to watch what’s he’s decides to do next. I only see him push his forehead against the wall, and take in and out deep breaths.

Though a part of me objects to this kindness I’m about to do to Chris, I still give him a pat on the shoulders, and lead him somewhere where we could sit.

He still wouldn’t speak. He only stares at the seats opposite us, and may not even notice the people passing by. He’s delirious. Not that I’m rude enough to give him the privacy that he needs but the thing between Hannah and him is of such importance to me. I care for the future of DAB, and for Kailey’s future in CJA and my future, if I ever do become a part of the club.