Chapter Eleven: Lack Of Coordination.

Chapter Eleven: "Lack Of Coordination."

SARAH AND I walked into class before the bell rang. Mrs. Olivera wasn't there but two people were already. "Are you serious?" Lucas laughed at something his friend that always wore sunglasses inside was saying.

"No does it look like I'm kidding?"

Lucas didn't answer his question when he looked up and saw me. The tie of his uniform was hung around his neck like always and his hair was still in those spikes.

"Did other people enter the classroom?" The guy with sunglasses asked nonchalantly. His head was directed straight ahead where he probably would have been able to see Sarah and I.

"Yeah uh," Lucas got up from the desk. "Sarah came in and Sydney this is Devin, Devin this is Sydney."

Devin's lips parted and he nodded in recognition. "Oh the new girl. Hey Sydney." Sarah was texting on her phone but said hi as she sat down at our desks.

I put my bag down. "Hi Devin."

"I've heard of you before. Too bad I can't exactly see you."

I was confused then I realized what he meant after a moment. Devin laughed a bit and nodded , answering for me. "Yeah I'm blind. Legally. I can see light."

He reached for something beside him and lifted up a stick I had seen him walking with the other day when Lucas and I had that apparently moment in the hallway. 

Lucas was staring at his friend with sympathy. Hell so was I and Sarah.  I didn't know how but Devin was able to sense it when he turned his body to kind of face Lucas. "Dude if you are giving me that face that makes you probably look like a puppy then I don't want to see it."

Lucas was about to say something when Devin held up a hand. "And yes I know that I can't actually see it shut the fuck up."

"God you'll forever be a dick Dev." Lucas muttered.

"I heard that." Devin grabbed his stick and swung it so that it actually hit Lucas in the stomach.

My hand covered my mouth as I tried to hold back laughter. Devin had a smirk on his lips as Lucas groaned. "You're so lucky I care about you." Lucas mumbled, getting off the desk and leaned on the desk next to me.

"You want to know how we met Sydney?"

"Sure." I said, he reminded me a bit of Timothy.

"So it was a bright day. I remember because I was outside and had my seeing eye dog, Kyle, with me. I've had Kyle for about seven years now. Anyway, I was with my dad and we were at the park, getting fresh air and stuff when a ball hit the back of my head. I probably still have the lump too."

"I said I was sorry mate. It was years ago."

"That doesn't make up for your lack of coordination. Long story short this idiot hit me because he can't play basketball properly. Ever since then I've had a small hatred for him."

"I hate you too." Lucas said with a tight smile before craning his neck at me. "Did you do the homework?"

"Y-Yeah." I stuttered, looking into the deep depth of his eyes behind his glasses.

Lucas sighed. "I didn't understand it."

"Of course you didn't. You're an idiot." Devin said, sliding his hand over the table and making a beat with his hand. The rhythm he was making made me raise my eyebrows at how coordinated it actually was.

"Um Devin what department are you in?"

"Music obviously. I play a variety of instruments specifically the piano." He said that was a small smile. I glanced at Lucas who had the corner of his lip raised up. That was pretty cool. I mean, Devin here was a prime example of what some people think could be impossible in the world.