Chapter Fifty-Three: Surprise.

Dedicated to @heaventurnedhell- for the beautiful cover above! Thank you so much💛

The funny thing is that I saw the person I based Mary Anne off of Friday night.

Chapter Fifty-Three: "Surprise."

"I HATE THESE assemblies."

"You never been to this kind of assembly." I told Mary Anne, leaning my head on her shoulder because this assembly was so boring I wanted to sleep. We've been stuck in this room for almost an hour and it was making me miss Chemistry.

"Do you really think I want to hear about how our choice in the arts can requires academics. 'We must get good grades to get into good schools. Universities and colleges look at English and Math the most'. Forget Math. Math sucks. I hate Math."

"I know." I laughed. She really did.

"I don't know how you took AP math," She mumbled. "And that you're going to take the exam in May."

"The way you speak of May is as if we're not already in the month."

Mary Anne shot up. From her slouched position, staring me right in the eyes with shock. "It's May?"

"It's May." I quietly laughed at her confusion. She's been kind of out of it. 

"Holy shit. We're graduating in over a month and I still haven't bought my prom dress."

"I know and same." A frown came to my face and I straightened up at bit, my eyes looking down at my classmates in their seats in the auditorium. I found Lucas sitting between two people, his eyes on the guidance counsellor who was speaking on stage.

As if he could feel me watching him, he turned around slowly, his eyes scanning the room before looking at me. He gave me a smile and I smiled back. His expression morphed into one of confusion and he gestured his thumb, silently asking me if was okay.

I nodded, turning to look back to the guidance counselor when Mary Anne nudged me, slouching to lean her head on my arm. "What was that?"

"I don't know. We're graduating soon, prom is soon, Worlds is soon. I'm tired." I admitted, running a hand over my face. Not just tired, I was stressed and thinking about the assignments I had to complete throughout this week and the next.

"It's almost over Sydney." Mary Anne assured me.

"That's the thing. I don't want it to be over. I don't really want high school to end just yet."

"Some of us don't. Especially when we have things that are making us hold back."

"You can say that again." I said, looking at Lucas again and sighing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is this a joke? Why is he putting fake problems on social media?" Sarah asked, staring at the screen of Mary Anne's phone.

"No. No it is definitely not a joke." I mumbled, looking at the screen.

Sarah huffed. "You break up with one guy and he goes around spreading lies? I didn't even-forget it. He's not worth it. I hate high school boys."

Eduardo just so happened to walk over just in time. "What happened?"

"Remember that guy I had a texting relationship with before we actually started dating? Cody?" Sarah reminded him.

"You mean the boyfriend you never really talk about? Yeah. No offence, but it's still the dumbest way to a relationship I have ever heard in my entire life." Eduardo said, sitting down at the table next to Mary Anne.