Chapter 1: Arrival

Everything was all set for her, she thought. Jane walked around mindlessly, honestly and horrifyingly unable to know where exactly to begin. The minute she stepped out of the train and into the station, the first couple of words that managed to stumble out of her mouth were: "What to do?"

She had her hat on, with woolen gloves and a proper dress attire like any busy woman anyone would come across. The only difference was that they were more sensible and more knowing of their own situation at hand where as she was the total opposite. Looks can certainly fool. The luggage by her side stood still and unmoving but that fact somehow bothered her to no end as she knew she was supposed to be out and about by now; most preferably inside a carriage and directly on her way to where she should be. Not to mention that time was definitely a critical matter to ponder as well since appearing tardy at their first meeting would simply bring her to look more lowly as people of higher class would say. Being a person more accustomed to country side, farm-like ways sure had its disadvantages but the will powered Jane would have none of those excuses. She'd act better, like her mother.

The young lady grabbed her luggage and proceeded to walk briskly, determined to find a way out of this station and to the residence of a far relative's where she would reside. Fortunately, it seemed luck was by her side when an old chirpy man of his mid 50's yelled her name. When she walked towards the man, he stated all the necessary introductions and began to explain upon her arrival, the address and descriptions of her new home while putting an also quiet but necessary side reminder that he wasn't a random, crazy man who'd yell to absolutely anyone - in which she submitted to immediately. 

The ride in the carriage was one of the most exciting parts of the trip if not to include the sceneries she was delighted to pass by as the horses galloped. It was more than she'd ever expected from London. While it was true that the skies weren't at its brightest times around the city, it compensated with the beautiful buildings and bridges that never ceased to amaze their inhabitants - especially tourists. However, as much as Jane so desirably wanted to tour around the place as if it were her sole reason, she couldn't, and that reason was because she had to start enrolling. So many bills to pay, so many books to buy, the list goes on. Not to forget that her knowledge wasn't keenly or nearly as standard to those in London. She was considered to be the other half of the country who lacked proper education; simply thinking of any possible way to cope up had already seemed like hard work in itself.

The man who offered her a ride explained that he was the resident owner's personal driver and chauffeur. This wasn't a surprise to the young brunette as her father had told her that their far relatives were fairly stable financially and could fit in with a simple conversation with noblemen despite not even being part of the aristocratic circle. They were known to be a kind family - composed of merely man and wife - with a fine home and a polite aura surrounding them.

As her foot met the cobble ground, she humbly made her way towards the main entrance and knocked on the door. A few seconds passed and she could hear the light footsteps from inside, sending slight pumps of enthralling suspense on finally meeting the Barnetts. The door opened and she put on her widest smile, which in return, was greeted with a tight hug.

"Jane dear! It's been so long." The slim woman exclaimed as she pulled back and properly marveled at her niece's height. "And you're so tall!"

Jane laughed and put her luggage down. "Mrs. Barnett, you flatter me so!" She exclaimed. "But I highly believe Emily has grown to bypass my average height."

Emily, Jane's year younger half, was quite a darling angel with beauty that swooned the whole town. Whether it was her blonde locks that curled sweetly at the ends or her bright blue sapphire eyes she inherited from their mother, it certainly got any young man falling right into infatuation.