Chapter 11: After the Light shines

"And what could possibly make things worse than it already is?" Jane said, ripping away her shoulder blades from his hands. There was that heavy burden again. That feeling which only hardened her heart even more. With a creased face, she fisted her hands together so tightly that she could barely feel the blood circulating properly within.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

But she did not answer his question. Instead, she loosened up the nerves that almost popped and simply stood there, like a hunchback yet still uncaring.

"It doesn't concern you, Earl." She said, and headed upstairs towards her room.

Jane stayed locked up in her bedroom for a long number hours in which she wasn't even aware. She could hear the clock ticking with every second that passed, following the movement of time and what seemed to be her fluid emotions. They just continued to flow endlessly down rocky pathways, and not stopping until an alarm would bring her back to reality. What had she done? The very person who she ended an argument with hours ago was the Earl himself, a man barely under her league of power and wealth. She could be arrested if he were to go to the police and consider this as some kind of sick assault. The man indeed was very powerful, and Jane wouldn't be blamed for overthinking about what might happen if she was not going to resolve what ever happened before. She admits that she lost her awareness on position, although if she were to go down right now and lay her amends, then it should be settled peacefully, right? Sure, she might have to witness all his extremely eye-twitching fits and offending demands but that was already a given when you say the word 'Aristocrat'.

Jane picked herself up from laying on top of the bed and stood in front of the mirror to fix her messy hair. As she went back down to find the Earl however, he wasn't there. She sighed once more and decided on the thought of him leaving momentarily. The young girl then walked over to the study room of Mr.Barnett and opened the door slightly to take a peek inside. Much to her disappointment, her uncle wasn't there either. Seeing as this felt rather strange, she picked up the pace towards the kitchen and the garden to see if Mrs.Barnett was anywhere to be found but sadly, the old woman wasn't there either. Jane's heart was racing at the thought of where everyone could be. Had there been a kidnapping incident when she wasn't looking? It was an absurd idea, she knew, but what else was Jane supposed to think? If they were to leave and go outside simply for leisure, then she was very sure Mr. or Mrs. Barnett would have told her about it.

It was dead-quiet in the house and her heart still continued to raise in anticipation. The evening was also darkening the whole manor, turning it into one with ghosts. Not knowing else of what to do, she left the kitchen and headed towards the main entrance. She would go to the police and ask for assistance. She still wasn't fully experienced about what people normally do here in London but Jane knew for sure that if something went wrong, it'd be best to report it. The walls were very frightening in the dark, with how the hanging portraits looked much more dull and how the faces and figures seemed to watch your every movement. As Jane did her best to avoid those terrifying pieces of art while at the same time keeping her pace fast and steady, she suddenly felt a hand rest itself on her right shoulder. The brunette immediately halted midway at the contact and her fear escalated instantly. Her mouth opened considerably wide and so did her eyes. Jane slowly turned her head around to look at who or what was placing their hand on her shoulder and without a second to waste, the lights turned on. The brightness caught her eyes to twitch a little but her shock did not fade at all, actually, it just increased as she realized she had been fooled.

"Happy Birthday!" Mr. and Mrs. Barnett exclaimed simultaneously, raising jazz hands above their heads in front of her.

Jane's eyes still widened at the confusion, but scratched her head and chuckled as she realized that she had forgotten her own birthday. Despite this however, she bit her lower lip and looked down; still looking anxious and very uncomfortable.