Chapter 30: Truth

The Earl gently knocked at the entrance door of the baron's manor, and released a heavy exhale as his mind wandered off about what was going to happen later after he and Ms.Vanderbilt gets on the carriage together, along with Jane and the inevitable, cruel atmosphere that was bound to hover above all of them. It was nerve-wrecking, and while he knew he wasn't supposed to care as much, he actually did. He could tell by the way he gulped twice within one minute, rubbed his hands together because of the accumulating sweat, and by the way he blinked a number of times that went beyond regular.

"Ahh, Mr.Chichester!" The Baron said enthusiastically, gesturing his hands inside in a welcoming manner. "Come in, come in."

"Good morning Mr.Vanderbilt." Said the Earl, bowing his head slightly at the acknowledgement. "It's a pleasure to meet you again."

"Likewise, Earl." He said, grinning widely. "Please feel free to sit on the couch for a moment as the maids call for my darling Amelia."

The baron was an extremely flamboyant man, despite the riches that surrounded him. He somewhat resembled Mr.Barnett in a way, since they were both cheerful and heartwarming whilst serious when it came to business or work, in which served to be beneficial to everyone in the household. The Vanderbilt blood line has always been a stable one, and to be frank, a filthy rich one too. Every year, it was always expected that another doctor would be the product of their natural intellect and striving attributions. The Baron himself held a well renowned name in the field of medicine, treating patients that were in need of psychological help. He was famous for being able to completely heal a middle-aged man that suffered from bipolar and clinical depression over a decade ago, and ever since then, people mostly if not always requested for his expertise in treating relatives and loved ones. He was like a miracle worker. 

"So, Earl, how has your days been in the Barnetts' manor?" He asked. "All well I presume?"

"Oh... how did you know about that?"

"Well I'm sure that you're aware of our tight connections with the Barnett family." He said. "As such, Timmy constantly updates me on new events that happen."

The Earl nodded and released a breathy huff of air from his nose as he gave a light snicker. "Ah I see." He said. "Well yes, despite all the aching lectures, I've actually learned many lessons from the old man."

"And it shows." The Baron smiled and gave a friendly tap on his shoulder. "It truly manifests itself through your new change of attitude. I must say, you really outdid yourself. Congratulations."

"Ah well, I just hope that certain change will continue further and will eventually lead me back to my regular way of living." Said the Earl.

The Baron chuckled, and nodded with his lips shut tight like a thin line. Later on, both ears heard footsteps clacking at every wooden staircase, making sounds that horses made as it stormed down like the wind.

"Mr.Chichester!" Ms.Vanderbilt exclaimed as she rushed towards the couch where he and her father sat on. "Terribly sorry. Shall we go now?"

"Ah yes, of course." Said the Earl as he stood from where he sat and walked out of the living room with Ms.Vanderbilt by his side. "Goodbye, Mr.Vanderbilt. I send my regards to your wife and son." He said as he waved from behind, continuing to walk out the manor with, once again, a firm expression.

"So what caused the fuss?" He asked.

"Just my hair and the comb... again."