Chapter 46: Cupid's Target

True enough, the next day, Jane was brought back to the Barnett's manor at monday afternoon by no other man than the Viscount himself. Although Mrs.Barnett did say that she was going to be the one picking her up, he reasoned with the old lady saying that Jane felt rather troubled during her stay. Mrs.Barnett immediately understood. 

Several minutes after her arrival, she was bombarded with her aunt's questions of 'what happened' or 'how are you feeling' - all of which Jane couldn't really say, not because she didn't want to, but because she didn't know herself. However, the rising tension that has been situated deep inside her chest hadn't faded since the other night, and seeing the Earl's face again in Mr.Barnett's lecture room did nothing to ease it either. 

"Oh, Jane dear! You're back!" said her uncle, placing a book down on his desk and storming his way toward Jane. 

Jane's focus however, didn't divert away from the Earl's presence. 

"I-I'm fine, Mr.Barnett." She said, placing a loving hand on top of his. "I'm safe. I'm sorry that I made you worry by leaving so suddenly." 

"Jane, promise me you won't keep everything to yourself. Don't bottle things up. We, your aunt and I, are people you can talk to. We-we love you so much." He said, keeping her hold on his hand tight, with his own slightly quivering with surprise. 

Jane looked down for a moment. "I'm sorry..." She said, leaning her forehead against his shoulder. "I won't run away from either of you again." 

The moment lasted for a couple of minutes, until Mr.Barnett signaled to the young noble that he must also greet her with small conversation as well - not like it meant any deeper meaning - as much as the Earl deemed it painful. Did Jane even want to talk to him? 

Mr.Barnett left his lecture room and closed the door with a soft click. Jane stepped in with all but gentle steps. She was walking towards him, in a casual manner, as if nothing had transpired between the both of them. The Earl contemplated to himself whether or not this was a good thing or not - forgetting that he climbed all the way to the princess's tower with a heroic gift, the necklace, clasped between her hands. Or how they drank deep into each other's eyes, and actually stayed for more than what he estimated was five minutes, in which every second felt like infinity. Did she want to pretend that never happened? 

"Good morning, Earl." She said, taking the seat beside his. Mr.Barnett usually sat on that seat when he needed to point out a specific important detail on one of the books they read. 

"Correction, Ms.Hackett. It's a good afternoon." He said, quite stupidly. 

She looked at him blankly, as if all joy in her face had suddenly been sucked out. "My apologies, Mr.Chichester." She said. "Good afternoon." 

After that, there was pure silence. The Earl hated it when that happened. 

"Jane, I-I'm sorry if i made you feel uncomfortable... the last time I saw you. It must have left you with more questions than answers." 

"It definitely did." 

"And, I'm sorry for making you agree to that stupid deal about... well... Ms.Vanderbilt and Mr.Runciman. I shouldn't have forced you into my issues." 

"All is forgiven." 

The Earl paused for a while. This was going too smoothly that it almost felt unnatural. 

"Jane... are you alright?" 

"I don't know." 

He paused again. Something was wrong, he was certain. 

"Look, Jane, if this is because of me, then I will do whatever needs to be done. If you feel bothered about any disclosure, then I will talk to Mr.Runciman and Ms.Vanderbilt. I'll sort everything out and I can - If you feel like I must - take back what I said to you last n-"