Chapter 13: Broken before the Vase

"And why would I want to enter your room, Milord." Jane asked as she averted her eyes to the door leading to her own bedroom.

"For someone quite tipsy, your head's still just as hard as a rock." He said, raising an eyebrow.

"What can I say, my tolerance is just as high as your ego."

"Have I ever told you how much your choice of words clash against the manner of addressing so perfectly?" He said. "It's almost criminal."

"Well, it's not like I hesitate to do so, since I address you amongst all people." Jane retorted, but strangely so, wasn't much offended by his insults in the first place. With a nod, she stepped inside courteously.

The young lady leaned against the wall beside the door whilst the Earl walked over to his bed across from her, sitting down ever so seriously.

"So is there a reason why you wanted me here?" She asked, furrowing her eyebrows once again while directing her gaze around the pristine, patterned walls. "It's very late and I do insist that you hurry."

"Why?"

Jane directed her gaze at him, slightly taken aback yet still continued to push on.

"Must you know?"

"Can't I know?"

"I don't find any reason that you should nor shouldn't."

"Then what are you going to settle on?"

Jane glared at him and sighed. She gracefully placed her hands behind her back and stood straighter.

"Fine. I have work tomorrow and I need my sleep." She answered. "Are you satisfied yet?"

He looked curiously at her and raised an eyebrow. "Work? For what?" He asked. "And where?"

"Earl, I suggest you carry on to what you originally wanted to talk about."

The blonde man then propped his hand on the bed and stood up.

"Well..." He started. "I wanted to request a favor from you."

"And what if I don't comply?"

"Oh I know you will, Ms. Hackett." He sneered at her and gave a low chuckle. "Because if you don't, then I'll have to send your dear Viscount tons more work that he wouldn't have time to come and visit you anymore."

Jane gasped and gaped her jaw wide open at the absurdity. What a cruel man!

"A-and what make you think that would matter?!" Jane crossed her arms as well, except that it was a lot more tight compared to the Earl. "And! He's your friend, is he not? Do you simply treat people like they were your pawns?"

"I don't see why not"

"You don't see why not!? This is terrible! You're terrible!" This was it. Jane completely lost her composure and her blood was boiling to its highest point.

"So, you're not going to do my request?"

"You still have the audacity to-" she flew her hands up and then paused as she realized she went too far. "Ugh, never mind."