Chapter 18: Afflictions

The days have been less of a relaxing ride and more of a bumpy and rather depressing one. Jane couldn't even believe what she did a few days ago. She couldn't believe the stupidity, that extremely incredulous act she had done over getting what she (might) have wanted. Was it worth it? The question was nearly the only thing she has ever thought about since that night, and judging by her never ending anxiety, it didn't seem like it was planning to go away. The Earl hasn't even said anything to her since their agreement, let alone glanced at her nor shared a single greeting. Everyday seemed like a whirlwind of anticipation for what was going to come, which wasn't exactly the kind of thought that should be present during such a bright morn. But probably it was already sort of normal for people during this era - she wasn't quite sure.

A week have passed since then, and everyday didn't look any different than the days before except for the new hobbies Mrs.Barnett had taught Jane. Just as she first thought though, they really weren't her type of hobbies. Embroidery took so much time, and knowing herself, she was pretty impatient and usually liked to have things done as soon as possible. Sewing patterns through delicate pieces of fabric didn't seem to do her well either since there were always times when she'd think that her unsteady, sturdy hands would break the thread before she even reached sewing thrice; which much to her dismay, did happen more than several times. As for gardening, you could say that it was an activity better done by women like Mrs.Barnett - old and experienced. Not like she wanted to be rude or anything, but its also not like she would say anything in the first place. The worms and bugs were one thing - she wasn't scared, it was just disgusting - but the blisters she got from carrying pots and shoveling heavy piles of soil were a whole different level of discomfort. Jane was only glad that Mrs.Barnett could see through her well and decided to save their "fun" activities for another time. However, even this wasn't enough to save Jane from feeling like the world had dawned upon her. No, it definitely wasn't, for the ball was going to be held the next day, and she was yet to be prepared for the events to come. There was no doubt that this would be the ideal time for the Earl to administer his plan into action, and Jane knew this. In fact, in the back of her mind, it was as if she was waiting for this to commence the whole time she's been sobbing like a worthless prat - or so she would call herself - as much as she wouldn't want to admit. But of course she wasn't excited or anything. There was no way she could ever be excited for a plan as sinister as this - a plan so sinister because it involved having to deceive his mother into thinking he was better off by himself as a half-sufficient monstrosity of an Earl. A plan so sinister that even with such sinful deeds, she might actually find the chance to meet the viscount once again; probably not within their - The Earl's and the Viscount's - range of sight, but merely the satisfactory glimpse of his ever missed auburn hair and youthful eyes. There was no way she could be excited. But sometimes, a person can only lie for so long.

"We need to talk." The Earl said after breakfast. He stood in front of Jane, with eyes glazed in an uncomfortable sense of seriousness.

Jane nodded. "What is it, Mr.Chichester?"

"Is that really necessary?" He asked. "I despise being called that."

The young brunette scowled. "It doesn't matter. By my uncle's words, I shall follow, and theres nothing you can do about it."

Mr.Barnett had requested everyone in the table the other night to address the Earl by his last name rather than his title, in hopes that it would somehow lessen the pride he always brought upon himself. As always, there were only three people who agreed, and the one who didn't, couldn't suppress the twitch on his right temple.

The Earl sighed and frowned. "Fine" he said. "Anyways, I needed to discuss to you about the ball tomorrow."

In her mind, Jane had something light up in her head as if it said "I knew it!", which it most probably did. "What about it, Mr.Chichester?" She said, trying so desperately hard not to quirk the side of her lips upwards.