Chapter 38: Confessions

The Earl, with much haste, finally arrived in front of the Duke's manor. He took a brief glance at his pocket watch and realized that it had already struck 11 a.m. 

"Oh God, I need to hurry." he muttered to himself as he stepped out of the carriage. "Please wait until I leave the manor." He said to the coachman, and then walked briskly toward the gates. 

After being able to enter through, he went past the guards, the faces of confused gardeners, rose bushes, and the statues that adorned the entire manor beautifully. 

It somehow reminded him of Jane and how much he thought it would make her so excited. Jane always loved flowers, especially those that she saw in the Lunacy Hospital, and he couldn't forget the way she smelled the scents as if they were her nectar. The brunette truly was beautiful. 

Mr.Chichester shook his head immediately. He needed to get this over with soon. 

As the guards carefully opened the entrance door, the Earl continued to walk briskly inside, entering with as much confidence as he could muster as to keep his raging thoughts at bay. By the time he'd see his mother, he needed to keep everything organized, because if he were to just suddenly blabber about concerns that he suspected would turn the marchioness to a disapproving eye, hopes of listening ears would completely vanish. 

Especially now that she had come to see the duke - the one whom she had asked a favor from regarding the plans of his leave to France. 

As he was busy with his thoughts, an old man with a black suit came dashing towards him. "Lord Chichester! What an unexpected appearance." He said, following the Earl's footsteps that had continued to walk with unhindered speed. 

It was the Duke's butler. 

"May I inquire where the Marchioness is right now?" Asked the Earl as he began to peek through different hallways, trying to collect some certain sounds that may lead him to his destination. The manor was impeccably huge, so much that you would find yourself looking for places like a mouse would with its senses. 

"Lord Chichester, for what reason, if I may ask." 

The Earl abruptly said, without bothering to spare a glance. "You may not ask." 

The Butler had to hold himself back from stepping away. "Ah... I see, well-" 

"Where is she?" 

"Lord Chichester, my deepest apologies, however I was instructed by the marchioness that I keep anyone from disrupting their meeting." 

"Well, Mr. Quinn, I hope you have your morale at its highest peak right now, because it will crush tremendously the second I get my hands on the right doorknob." He said. "Why you may ask? Simply because I'm going to immediately notify my mother about your failure in keeping my determination at a halt. Now, all you'll have to do is choose. Would you rather I keep you safe from frame or push you right to it?" 

"I-Is that a threat sir?" 

"What do you think?" 

It took a fruitful amount of seconds from Mr.Quinn's shaking and glare-avoiding until the poor staff finally gave in with a huff of breath. 

"Fine-" 

"You don't need to shatter your loyalty before this beast, Mr.Quinn." 

Before the butler was able to finish his sentence, the double-doored room that they stood in front of blasted open before them, and was replaced by a sight of a rather agitated woman. 

"Mr.Chichester, I raised you better than to act off with such foolish immaturity!" She exclaimed. "Do you know how much of my blood had risen the second I heard your blasted voice coming in the manor? It was so loud. My Goodness! I had to force myself to regain my posture on the chair right after you blew everything off with that nasty threat."