Chapter 49: Last Visit

Mrs.Barnett had heard of their meeting in the Circus Fair, and instinctively decided to hold a lunch gathering the next day.

Jane was going to leave soon.

Because of this, the old lady invited those that the young provincial has been closely acquainted with through out the days she's stayed in London as a form of a farewell party, knowing Jane's plans. Without question, Jane had agreed to it, because her Aunt would take no objection. Thus, Jane informed the others through calling their manors - Ms.Vanderbilt's and Mr.Runciman's.

Unexpectedly however, along her call with Ms.Vanderbilt, the noble invited her to join in on their trip to the Lunacy hospital with Rebecca - Mr.Runciman's younger sister.

"We're going to see Thomas." She said, and Jane agreed to come with them, knowing it would probably be her last visit.

And there she was, in a ride full of clapping hands and excited laughter.

"Is this Thomas boy charming?" Rebecca cutely asked.

"Oh yes definitely. He's around two years older than you, but I promise that he'll be great company. He's just like you, except his mental disorder is Schizophrenia." Ms.Vanderbilt answered, keeping Rebecca wrapped around her arms.

"Oh! I've heard of that. Mine is ADHD!" Rebecca said, a little too cheerfully.

Ms.Vanderbilt felt a bead of sweat rolling down the side of her forehead as she heard the little girl say that. "O-oh well uh... that's nice to hear." She said, then looked out the carriage window to see they were fast approaching the hospital already. "Look, we're already here."

"Don't you think that it was quite odd for both your younger siblings to coincidentally have mental disorders?"

"I would rather think of it as a lucky shot. I mean, at least the two of them won't feel like the other was worth more, right?" Ms.Vanderbilt said, scratching the back of her head. "And well, it... happens. I'm just glad that people with madness aren't treated like animals anymore, unlike many decades ago. Now, you can freely check yourself up if you feel like there's something wrong." Ms.Vanderbilt explained.

"You can, if you want." She said, jokingly.

Jane took it by surprise and nodded. Maybe she will.

They arrived, and entered the building. The female noble was feeling all giddy, while Jane looked rather gloomy.

"Are you alright?" Ms.Vanderbilt asked her.

Jane nodded and forced a smile. "Fine." She said.

"Are you sure? I expected that you'd be excited since... well, they're finally meeting."

"I uh... How about I go line up for you? I'll check up in the counter, while you and Rebecca go walk around the garden instead?"

"Jane, no-"

"Ms.Vanderbilt, you did it for us the last time. Besides, this is my last visit here. Think of it as a farewell deed." Jane said as she smiled.

Ms.Vanderbilt, although reluctant, agreed. She then took Rebecca's hands in her own and began to head out the opposite direction where the entrance to the garden was.

Fortunately, the line wasn't so long, and Jane was already in front of the counter after having stood for less than five minutes.

"So who are you visiting today, young miss?" The lady in the counter kindly asked.

Jane looked down at the desk and saw that the lady was recording the names and visitation times of the people who came.

Today, she was recording for October 2nd. Jane hadn't thought days would pass this quickly.