Chapter 34: Reminder

After what seemed to be forever, they finally arrived in the Hospital. However, much to Jane's shock, it wasn't just any ordinary hospital. The one they were about to step foot in was for mentally ill patients - St.Raphael Hospital for the Lunacy. 

They were going inside an Asylum. 

"What are we doing here?" Jane asked, softly tugging at the fabric of Ms.Vanderbilt's sleeve. Somehow, the young lady couldn't seem to get her eyes off the building. Her eyes were practically glued unto it, unable to grasp a reason as to why that was so. 

"Frightened are we?" The Earl stepped in, giving her a taunting snicker. "Well, I'm definitely taking note of this fear that you have." 

"I never said it was a fear!" she said, glaring at him. 

As they entered the building, the first thing that Jane heard was a ferocious shout coming from the narrow hallways, where echos resonated like horrifying vibrations. The next thing that they caught sight on was a little girl with messy blonde hair, grasping what seemed to be a half torn stuffed toy in each of her hands, with the stuffing falling right before her. It almost synchronized with the stream of tears that did the same. 

But the scary part wasn't when she was screaming. It was when she began to laugh. 

It tore Jane apart instantly. It was right then at that moment that Jane decided this place was too much for her. 

With widened eyes and an already sweaty forehead, she tugged at Ms.Vanderbilt's hand and immediately shook her head, signaling that she wanted- no, needed to leave. 

"Ms. Vanderbilt- I- I-" she stuttered. 

"You don't need to say a thing Jane. I understand." the noble placed her hand gently on top of Jane's. "I'll just visit my brother alone. It will only be for a short while." 

"Your brother? Your brother is a-" 

"Yes." Ms. Vanderbilt softly whispered, and then let go of her hands. "would you like to send any regards? this may be the last time you'll see him." 

Jane didn't even dare try to decipher the meaning of her words. Instead, she hung her head and took a long breath. 

"You don't need to bring my regards to him. I'll give them myself." Jane gave out a small smile and nodded, determined to stay brave. 

Quickly, they walked passed the restrained little girl, with Jane having to clutch the Earl's arm along the way (in which she tried to make as subtle and unnoticeable as possible). However, their proximity allowed her to take advantage of fishing out information. Thus, inconspicuously, she stepped a tad bit closer towards the noble that their arms began to touch. 

She whispered, "Mr.Chichester... D-do you know the condition of Ms.Vanderbilt's brother?" 

He threw her an emotionless glance. "curious are we?" he said. "well, as inevitable as it is, I guess I have no choice." 

The young noble whispered back, "schizophrenia." in a low and very chilling tone, which needless to say, sent unbelievable shivers down her spine. 

"T-That's the one where you s-see things that-" 

"aren't there... Yes. It's that one." he leaned over her slightly, as if trying purposely to scare her off, and Mr.Chichester wasn't disappointed with the results. 

Jane began to squeeze her palms together while focusing her gaze on the floor where she couldn't see Mr.Chichester's menacing face and the other sounds that erupted from different sectors of the hospital.