Chapter 3: Viscount of Berkshire

"Here's an umbrella. You will often need it in going out." Mr.Barnett said as he took a black umbrella from the corner of his entrance door and gave it to Jane.

"Thank you, sir." She replied as she bid her farewells and stepped out of their lovely abode.

The morning had been quite a dull one to be completely honest. The air was murky when Jane decided to take a walk around her aunt's garden after waking up earlier this morning. Unfortunately, the fog just made the supposedly pleasant feeling to fade away with how it gave off such an eerie atmosphere. Jane could barely see the flowers clearly when it was simply about 3 meters away from her and that was irritating. Mornings were supposed to be happy. Even if there were a million things to be upset about, mornings were always an exception. How sad it was to know things would be different now.

On the bright side of matters, the fog had faded a considerable amount as the  hours passed. However, it wasn't false what people say about London's unpredictable weather. Jane did not want to prove that statement right in fears of experiencing it herself but it seems she was too late. The rain started pouring after 5 minutes, prior to her leave. When she attempted to open up her umbrella and put it to good use, a massive hit of wind had caught her off guard and before she was able to contract it, the umbrella went flying backwards with its inner grey color forcefully shown. Well, there goes her only shield from the rain.

As of this moment, the brunette is running in need for a shade. She makes a left turn and takes off with much more speed albeit her outer garments getting heavier and heavier from being soaked. As if her present afternoon couldn't get any worse, a solid rock, fixed on the ground made her trip and fall to the muddy cobblestones. The dullness came back with only tiny rays of sunshine that did nothing to lighten up her current mood. It was as if life had purposely desired to make her feel miserable. But, she wouldn't submit to that notion and stood up again with building determination, despite a bruise coming into color on her right ankle. Completely drenched and looking undignified, she continued to walk step by step, taking it slow as to not trip again. Fortunately, it took only a block later until she was able to catch sight unto the newly opened bookshop she had been searching for. Jane briefly scanned down at her appearance before entering and though she was very excited in getting her first job, there was no doubt that the owner would have to think day and night before having her work. Needless to say, she was an utter wreck. A person who wouldn't think twice about how they present themselves - especially in getting what they want - was not worth a man's time. In this case, entering like the way she is now and asking for a job didn't seem proper to anyone's eyes. She groaned at this realization and clenched her fists tight at her sides with an anger bubbling inside her head like a mad man yet to explode. Suddenly, the door opened in a swift motion with another pair of footsteps appearing in front of her. It was an old shop keeper. The man appeared shocked at seeing Jane in an uncomfortable condition whilst the girl was about to fall unsteadily out of the nervousness that was accumulating at the pit of her stomach.

"This must be the owner." She thought to herself.

Shifting around awkwardly, the brunette began to feel even more nervous from the intense stare the person before her was giving. The old man had glasses that shone a bit from the tiniest rays with a pastel colored, green apron that hung loosely from his stoop shoulders to his knees. He also looked quite thin, judging by how narrow his wrists and how lean his arms were.

"Do you need help in anything?" The old man spoke with a voice so hoarse and deep. He sounded a little annoyed.

"You've been standing in front of my shop in a strange manner."

Jane looked down at the short old man with beads of sweat rolling down her forehead.

"I-I apologize... Uhm..." She stuttered whilst averting her eyes for a second to only look back at the judging ones of the man before her again.