Chapter 50: The Bitter Taste

It wasn't long before the ache in Jane's stomach grew too massive to bear, and convinced her to return to Mrs.Barnett to cherish the time she had left with her aunt before leaving back to Fornside. However, when she finally got there, she was greeted with only an eerie atmosphere; neither Mr.Barnett nor Mrs.Barnett were inside the house, and a splotch of blood had coated the carpet nearest to the lecture room. Jane couldn't find herself breathing properly, even more so when she saw a note left on top of the empty furniture table where a tall vase used to sit.

"As soon as you read this, please go straight away to the marchioness's manor. Mr.Chichester was accidentally assaulted by Mr.Barnett."

Jane immediately felt chills run down her spine, but she wasted no time in grieving. Like a bolt of lightning, she spun around and left to the door again, with the letter tightly clasped to her chest like it was her life line, running towards the first Hansom Cab she saw.

---

As soon as her feet touched the stone road before the marchioness's gate, Jane took a deep breath.

"It was true." she thought. "Mr.Barnett was that man that the ward nurses had feared. It was him all along."

It almost felt like her legs were noodles. Although she hadn't stopped walking since her arrival, it still felt like she couldn't, at all, move.

"Mrs.Barnett! I found your note. W-where is the Earl? Is he alright? Where did he get injured?"

Jane entered the living room, and was greeted with the tight enveloping of Mrs.Barnett's arms. The young provincial could feel warm drops dampening her shoulder.

"I'm so sorry I-I take all the responsibility..." Mrs.Barnett said. "I noticed many things about your uncle, and yet- and yet I was unable to prevent his outburst. I'm so sorry Jane. Your Fiance ended up being a victim."

Jane couldn't release a single word. She didn't know what to say.

"So it is him. That business man who was notorious for violent assault. He's known well in the Lunacy hospital, especially in the stabilization units." Jane pulled away from her aunt's hold and looked at her straight in the eye. "It's him. Right? I can't be wrong."

"Jane, please. It isn't... it isn't entirely his fault. Please forgive him darling. He was stressed, and I couldn't help him at all. I'm partly to blame. So please, don't hate him." Mrs.Barnett begged.

More tears began to erupt from the corner of her eyes, and Jane could only watch for a while. Right now, her emotions were mixed. She didn't know what to feel. A part of her hated what her uncle had done, but another part of her said she had not the right to think that way.

Jane released rapid breaths and sighed. "Where's Mr.Chichester?"

"He's upstairs in his room. The marchioness supposedly decided to watch over him for the time-being, but she was kind enough to notify Mr.Vanderbilt of Mr.Barnett's condition."

But by this time, Jane had already dashed off toward the stairs like a dog on rampage. Yes, she remembered, that Ms.Vanderbilt's father had once taken care of her uncle several decades ago. It made much more sense now.

As soon as the door burst open, Jane ran to his side, and immediately began to shake his shoulders in hopes that he'd wake up.

Meanwhile, a maid passed by and stood shocked at what Jane was doing. "Madam, please don't do that!" She exclaimed.

Jane looked at the old house helper with rapid breaths. "Why?"

"The young master is... in poor condition." She said, and looked down at the Earl with sympathetic eyes. "He won't be opening his eyes for a while."