Chapter 16: Temptations

"Ah, Jane you're back!" Exclaimed Mr.Barnett as Jane had entered the door. The young lady was quite surprised at the sudden greeting but figured that it was something to get used to.

"Good evening to you too." She replied with a polite grin and walked towards the kitchen where everyone else was. Supper was always her favorite meal of the day, especially when she had just ended a very tiresome one. Today had been fairly active in the bookstore. In fact, it had been more active than she would have expected. A large number of customers had come and gone through out the whole morning and even after a few hours passed during the afternoon, the shop was still filled with people young and old. To be honest, her thoughts haven't quite invaded her head thoroughly from the morning until evening straight. There were times where in she shared kind smiles towards little kids when they had such an enjoyable time reading piles of thin childrens' books or simply stayed inside for the sake of playing somewhere enclosed - much to Mr.Abbey's chagrin.

Jane placed her palm-sized purse beside her as she took a seat from the table. Everyone was set and ready to eat except one person who was too busy fidgeting around. "And Good Evening to you too, Earl." Her face wasn't quite the happy one, but who could blame her?

"Likewise." He replied, with the same grouchy mood. Mrs. And Mr. Barnett shared anxious glances and proceeded to feast on their meals.

"So... Jane, how was your first day?" Mr. Barnette asked as he swallowed the piece of meat in his mouth. At the corner of her eye, she also spotted her uncle nudging the Earl on his sides as if signaling him to do something.

The young man gave a low grunt and nudged Mr.Barnett slightly while at the same time, throwing Jane a hateful look. "Y-yeah... How was your Day, Ms. Hackett."

Jane stopped moving her utensils and looked up to see the Earl's calm - fakingly calm - gaze and smirked. "It was fine." She said, and continued to cut the large meat on her plate. Tonight's dinner was very pleasant, she thought to herself. Almost pleasant enough to help her forget all her problems for a moment. What lay before her, and everyone else, was a simple yet homey well done beef steak with some buttered carrots and string beans on the side. She normally didn't have dinners like this back at the farm, but it certainly didn't displease her in any way. "I have a day off tomorrow." Jane said in the midst of the awkward atmosphere. She had noticed it lately, with how the dinner table would tend to be uncomfortably silent because everyone thought there was a heavy tension hanging in the air. Jane wasn't surprised though, she expected this much with the Earl around. However, she couldn't help but say it wasn't something that should carry on through out the long span of time he was going to be here - for the sake of Mr. And Mrs. Barnett of course.

"Mr. Abby, the store owner, said that the shop would be closed tomorrow due to a personal event that would prevent him from being present." Jane said, giving a smile. "I hope to spend the next day with you, Mrs. Barnett." She looked at the old woman who sat beside her, sitting as elegant as ever. The old woman returned her gaze and nodded. She also smiled a very wide smile as if relieved from a heavy weight.

"Of course, dear." She replied and continued to eat in peace.

Mr.Barnett paused from eating for a moment and everyone heard a clank sound as his utensils suddenly stopped moving as well. "Oh by the way, I wanted to inform you all." He said and chuckled. The old man scratched the back of his head at his silliness for forgetting such important news. "I forgot to tell you that there will be another ball being held this week at the Marquee's man-"

"The Marquee?!" The Earl cut in, nearly slamming his hands on the table. Everyone looked at him with shock and soon after, he seated himself back down with a growl.