Chapter 32: Past Memories .2

Amelia, who stood strong and elegantly sophisticated, nodded at the young man before her whose name sounded very familiar.

"Sorry to intrude, milady, for you have probably yet to know my relations." He said. "You see, your Uncle requested for me to come in his behalf due to some business that urgently required his attention as of late. Since I am the son of the Viscount, a very close friend of your father, the Baron, he decided that it would be best to send me here instead."

"I see..." she said, looking down at the marble tiles with sadness beginning to droop her eyelids downwards. Now, she had absolutely no one. Her mother had to leave the manor a few days ago in order to head towards another county because of some 'important business', and her father also was busy because of work. The only people that were keeping her company were the maids and Henry who came almost everyday to see her. And now, not even her uncle could join her.

"I suppose you're quite disappointed." He said, noticing the way Amelia's face, which was once plump and full of life, now looked drained and utterly dull. "How about we get to know each other better?" The young noble said, smiling widely as he leant his hand for her to hold.

However, before she was able to even touch his fingertips, sounds of marble tiles clacking from footsteps began to erupt in her ears. She immediately turned around to see a confused Henry, looking at the man who she just spoke to and back at her, already throwing questions through his glares.

"Good afternoon." Said Henry, as he stepped closer towards the two of them. Amelia immediately withdrew her hand.

"Oh, good afternoon to you as well, I am Robert Runciman, I am-"

"I know who you are, you don't need to introduce yourself." The Marquee's son said rudely. "But I must assume that you don't know who I am." He said, stretching out his hand towards the Viscount's son for him to shake, in which the other young man allowed and as a result, had his hands clasped incredibly hard. "I am the Earl's only son, Henry Chichester of Berkshire."

"I-I am the same. From Berkshire."

"Good to know." He said, releasing his strong grip on Robert, and throwing a few questionable looks towards Amelia. "You probably haven't remembered me since we were only acquainted a year ago."

Amelia spoke up. "You know each other?"

"Do you not remember the fencing tournament that we had?" Henry asked, unraveling a realization from the other young noble.

"Oh yes, now I remember." He said. "You were the one who won 2nd place! I admired your skills since you were only fourteen at that time, am I right?"

"Yes, and if I'm not mistaken, you were sixteen last year. You won 3rd place, and although you could have gotten a higher rank, your skills were still remarkable." The Earl said, still keeping his moody demeanor. "But I suppose, not remarkable enough."

Robert blinked a few times and said, "Y-yes... but I am improving."

"Well, let's see about that."

•••

Jane raised her hand up, halting Ms.Vanderbilt's next words. "I want to guess what happens next." She said.