Chapter 8: When the Sun met the Moon

"You were the one who sent me the invitation, did you not?" Jane smiled at the man beside her with a fluttering amusement inside her chest. They have been walking long enough to say it was around 2 rounds and until then, she couldn't have enough of their time together.
"What makes you think that, Ms. Hackett?" He smiled.
"Well, there isn't anyone else I've met in London who knows my address." The young brunette explained. "Except you."
"How clever." He said. The Viscount breathed in a deep inhale and exhaled just as much. The way he was feeling was so real, so lively and for once, actually active.
"You don't know happy I am to see you again." His face softened full heartedly as he turned to look at Jane.
Since meeting her, he could not stop thinking about how much it deprived him, even a little, of his boredom. It was because of this that he was able to come up with an idea to bring her closer to him through different ways.
"I'm flattered." She said, feeling so flushed at his compliment.
"You know, besides Mrs. And Mr. Barnett, you were the only person who has ever made me feel welcomed in London. I am truly grateful." Jane tried to hide her blush by averting her gaze elsewhere. She molded her plump lips together as well, in attempts to hide her complementary smile.
"I'm glad I was the one." He replied, feeling a similar fluttery feeling in his stomach.
"And by the way, Ive noticed that you've dressed up very beautifully this evening. Do you own it?" He asked.
Jane looked at him again slowly and then looked down at her feet with a shy grin.
"Well, no. Not really." She replied as she held on to the sides of her dress.
"I believe it came from Mrs. Barnett's choice of attire when we went out."
Viscount Runciman and Jane stopped walking for a moment so he could contemplate at her lovely dress.
"It certainly suits you, Ms. Hackett." He  said.
"Thank you."

Just like their last meeting, they continued to chat all night long, talking about both senseless and sensible things. It was like a continuation to where they stopped at from a few days ago, except this time, it was filled with more magical intent since the aroma was beautiful and the atmosphere was beyond perfect. Everyone around them seemed to have a great time, with how they delighted each other with different kinds of conversation and entertainment. From where they were walking or sitting, they only noticed smiling faces, laughter and ease. Somehow, this delighted them more to enjoy and make the most of what time they had. After all, Jane was wearing a lavish dress. And as of this moment, the lie she wore meant the whole world could accept her, even if it was only tonight.

The night was undeniably long and both parties could easily feel it. As Jane and the Viscount continued to talk and converse with each other, the man could hear a voice calling him. This meant no good, for some odd reason, but decided to trust his instincts and requested from Jane that she follow him elsewhere. He held out his hand for her to hold and reluctantly, she put her hand on top of his. This made her feel nervous yet excited at the same time because the feel of his hand clasped with her's felt wonderful, to say the least. It made her cheeks redden up like it did a couple of hours ago when he complimented her. However, she could not shake the feeling off about how urgent the Viscount seemed to be. His thoughts were probably so strong that it reflected by the way he held her hand and walked a tad bit briskly for both their liking.
"Is there something wrong?" Jane couldn't help but ask.
The man in question looked at her from behind his back and just smiled. He forced a smile.
"Oh, there's nothing wrong. I just uh... Wanted to fetch some drinks." He continued to walk. "I feel quite thirsty. Aren't you?" He asked.
"Well, not really. But I suppose I wouldn't mind a drink." Jane replied.
The young lady had to endure more of the forceful walking until they finally caught sight of the water fountain. However, as they were nearing the food table, a man had suddenly appeared in front of Viscount Runciman.
"Viscount! I've been looking for you." He said. "Oh, who's this lad-"
Jane and the man locked eyes and stood still for a long moment. The girl couldn't stop her heart from beating so rapidly and it was needless to say she was incredibly shocked. So much that she opened her mouth slightly, and began to widen her eyes with an almost horrifying realization. This was the man she saw when she first came to London, Jane was sure. No one could have mistaken those alluring green orbs.
"Wh-who is this?" The blonde man whispered to his friend, his only friend.
"Ah! Well, uhm..." The Viscount tried to speak.
"Uh, Ms. Hackett, I'd like to introduce you..." Not really "to the Earl of Berkshire." He said. "Lord Chichester, this lady here is Ms. Hackett." Viscount Runciman gestured his hand towards Jane. "She is the niece of Mrs. Barnett."
The Earl straightened himself as Jane curtsied in front of him. The young brunette though, was silently thinking about what she and the Viscount had talked about a few days ago when they first met. She remembered what he told her his descriptions towards the Earl. She still wasn't sure whether he was the Earl he was referring to, but who else could it be? Their titles belong to the same county.
"You lack grace." The Earl said as he looked down at the woman before him, with perhaps, even more ill grace. For Jane, as she had just looked up from bowing in front of him, gave a very visible frown.
"Excuse me?" She muttered, as she now stood upright.