Chapter 29: The Trip

"Your welcome, Mr.Chichester." Said Jane as she merely shared a blank expression, giving off little genuine meaning than her words would imply.

"So where do you plan on taking me?" She asked, pulling herself away from the wall in which she had leaned against, and stood straight with her arms still crossed against her chest.

"Just to check on someone." He said, furrowing his brows. "You know who."

Jane blinked a couple of times and mimicked his facial expression. "Wait. You're still continuing this thing?"

Before he was able to reply, Mr.Barnett cut in. "If you two are planning on leaving the house to go tour around and what not, please make sure to be safe." He said, standing up along with his wife as they began to return to their quarters. "I will be out as well. Fetching some important files from the office all the way downtown. Meanwhile, your aunt will be remaining here mending the necessary chores until you get back, so you don't need to worry about getting inside the house after all is done and finished."

"Yes Mr.Barnett, that is greatly appreciated." Said the Earl, grinning.

"Oh and also." Said the old man, walking towards the young noble. "I'll need to have a little discussion with you by the end of the day. Is that alright?" He asked, looking seriously at his eyes. If his glare wasn't sharp enough back then with all the "training" that he had about mannerisms and politeness, right now, it was like a krypton blade.

The Earl stood steady yet falteringly curious at such a, to put it frankly, scary demeanor. "Uh... of course, Mr.Barnett." He replied. "What is it about?"

"All will be answered soon." The old man then loosened a bit and cracked a subtle smile before disappearing entirely towards the still dim hallway.

"I wonder what he meant by all that." Said Jane.

"You're not the only one." The young noble said as he turned around and proceeded to walk out the door again. "Anyway, whatever that was, it shouldn't be the peak of our thoughts just yet. Right now, we have other things to focus on."

"Like what? You didn't tell me that your plans were still ongoing!"

"Jane, I did. Remember what I said before you left my room yesterday morning?" He said, opening the entrance door and allowing the both of them to bask at the September heat.

The roads were quite bright, from the way the strong sun rays highlighted its edges and cracks. The grape vines which stuck close against the manor's brick walls also showed the same effects, and it also expressed more of a fresh look from the way beads of dew rested delicately on top leaves and thorns.

The two people made their way down the sidewalk and began to stress themselves. Not because of what was to come once they arrived in their destination, nor the noticeable sour eyes of some people, but because of this;

The two of them. Walking side by side. In a public place. Holding hands. He a noble and she an ordinary peasant girl.

Around two weeks ago, this certain kind of situation would have never popped up in either of their minds since it just seemed too revolting to even consider. And yet, it's happening right now, and although half-willingly, it would be fair to say that they wouldn't have entertained even the simplest of thoughts about it when during her first ball, which with all honesty, is a surprising change all in itself. Nevertheless, the both of them were still trying to think about whether that was an extremely good thing, or if it was the worst thing to have possibly happened.

Little did she know however, the man beside her was beginning to think of the former.

"Why must we hold hands again?" She asked, throwing him a questioning look (with a blush and pursed lips to add). "It's not like... they're here." She whispered, trying desperately hard to focus her gaze on anything else much more distracting than him.