Chapter 20: Awakening Reality

A/N: That's Buckingham Palace, btw. But the story doesn't take place there.

Mrs. Chichester gazed upon the crowd from her balcony between double staircases, and observed her guests below. Tonight would be a busy night, she thought.

"Milady, it is time for your introduction." The servant from her left said, smiling at her as he quieted everyone down. After that was finished, the loyal man stretched his hand out towards them so that the Marchioness could speak. She nodded at him and stepped forward.

"On behalf of the Marquee, he would like to wish for everyone to enjoy their time in the ballroom." She spoke, as she picked up a glass of wine from the tray in which her servant offered, and lifted it up. "And as for me, I wish the same. Cheers everyone!" A large mass of people raised their glasses as well and cheered with all their sophisticated might.

"Milady, Earl Chichester is present here in the ballroom." He said, courteously bowing after she had finished with her rather brief speech. The Marchioness wasn't one with talking in public since her husband usually initiated it during past balls, but true effort was truly shown when she tried to make the atmosphere seem brighter.

"So I've heard." She muttered. "Please request for him to join me in the library. I'll be waiting there."

"Yes, milady." The servant said, as he went down one of the staircases and into the large crowd of guests.

---

"Miss Hackett, where are you?!" He huskily whispered to himself. The Earl looked past all the corners of the ballroom, down the two aisles of food and drinks, and even asked some guests by his descriptions about her appearance. If he isn't able to find her by the time Miss Vanderbilt arrives, which he assumed would be pretty soon, then the plans he had worked so hard to formulate will slowly crumble into failure.

"There you are!" The noble exclaimed, desperately grabbing on the sight of her green ballgown until he was finally able to stand in front of her. "Where have you be-"

"Earl Chichester?" He was cut off by the sound of a very familiar voice - Miss Vanderbilt's. "Wh-what are you doing here?" She placed her right hand on top her chest, looking as fairly surprised as the man in front.

"Amelia" he whispered ever so quietly to himself, gawking at marvelous timing. "Miss Vanderbilt, what a surprise!"

"A surprise indeed it is." She transferred her gaze over to Jane. "Miss Hackett, you know the Earl of Berkshire?" She asked, constantly switching looks from the man to the lady beside her.

"A-ah... Yes, Miss Vanderbilt." Jane said as she walked closer to the Earl's side, fitting her thin arm inside the gap between his sides and his elbow. "We're... Partners" she smiled and chuckled as sweetly as she could, trying to neglect all signs of awkwardness.

There was a very long pause between them, mostly regarding the Earl and the Baron's daughter. They had been eyeing at each other without taking notice of Jane's uncomfortable state, that she began to think it was a very unpleasant situation to be involved in, or rather a situation that she shouldn't be involved in.

"Well, uhm..." Miss Vanderbilt started. "How impolite of us. Miss Hackett, where did you come from?" She said, desperately trying to change the topic for the sake of lifting up some more conversation.

Before Jane was about to answer, she suddenly felt a slight nudge from her side. She immediately closed her mouth and looked at the Earl who whispered to her, "lie". Jane was at a loss of words and her heart began to beat like staccato. There was no way she could lie in the mere presence of a noble. Instead of actually speaking, she began contemplating, which eventually lead to the man explaining it himself.