Final Chapter: Promise of a new smile.

"Don't cry anymore, dear. You'll taint your pretty face!" Mother said as she came crouching before Jane's fallen figure, wiping the dirt that had infected her cheeks.

"H-he did it! Andrew did it, ma!" The little girl said, wrapping her arms around her mother.

With a soft chuckle, Mrs.Hackett gently pulled Jane to look straight in her eyes. "Jane, it's alright to cry, but sooner or later, you'll need to smile again. Okay?" She said. "Strength, Jane. It's important."

Jane, who's eyes stopped pouring out, nodded.

---

"...ane... Jane... Jane!" Mrs.Barnett said, snapping her fingers.

The coach stopped moving. They were already here.

Jane flinched at her Auntie's gesture and immediately turned to look away from the window. "S-sorry what?"

"You were in a daze, dear." The older woman said. "Come on, let's get down."

A week had passed since the incident, and Jane hadn't visited the Earl after the first four days. She had told her aunt that it was because it was painful watching him survive through a tube, and reassured her that she would return come next Sunday. But one thing was certain - she wouldn't be able to keep herself repelled from facing her uncle either. So as soon as she felt ready, she had requested to visit him during the days she was supposed to do for the Earl, and stepped back inside the lunacy hospital she had gradually begun to fear.

Mrs.Barnett placed her palm on top of Jane's shaking wrist. "Don't be scared." She said.

Jane nodded and gulped. "Yes." She told herself. "Her uncle wasn't going to hurt her. Since it's already been a week, he would have stabilized by now."

And she was right. Mr.Barnett calmly laid still on his bed as his eyes darted out the window, watching as the morning chirps echoed through the chill weather. His face was serene and kind, as if his violent episode had never occurred at all. When she came closer to see, as if to make sure that was really him, he chuckled nervously yet cheerfully.

"Sorry for all the damage I caused." He said. "I hope I didn't frighten you too much Jane."

Jane shook her head with a smile. "Didn't even see it."

There was silence before Jane realized she had hidden her bouquet of flowers behind her back.

"O-oh and... here." She said, handing her uncle the bouquet.

Mr.Barnett nodded and placed it on the bedside table.

"How is Milord?" He said

Jane took notice of his change in address. "Mr.Chichester?" She began. "Still bedridden. Been so since a few days ago."