Chapter 4: Getting to know you

After Jane had confirmed to her new boss, Mr.Abbey, about her job. He said that she could start the following week. To his surprise however, Jane wanted to start as early as she could and therefore pleaded to him that she preferred to start the next day. Well, there wasn't any reason to argue further so the old man gave in with nothing more than one of his signature caterpillar glares. As Jane was about to take her leave from the shop though, supposedly to return back home, that charming man who was no where near deserving to be breathing the same air as her's, had unexpectedly asked her if she would take the pleasure to join him in a quiet stroll down the nearest park on Graham Avenue. Of course, the very first thing Jane had thought about of such a request was that she couldn't possibly refuse (for whatever consequences it'd bring if she did, and had no idea of). But knowing that she wasn't quite familiar of the place and that maybe a quick tour about London's greater beauties would be sufficient, she accepted.

Jane came out the door with mildly soaked garments, together with her broken umbrella, a limping foot and a black suit jacket with fine pristine taste. Before the seemingly prince and pauper decided to leave the bookshop, the Viscount insisted that he lend her his suit jacket since it would be very unwise for her to leave into the chilly airs with drenched attire.
"You'd catch a cold." He said and the only reply afterwards was a humble nod; much to her dismay.

Unknowingly, it turned out to be quite an advantage. When they stepped out, she appeared to look different. The expensive black garment covered her raged-like dress and Jane looked more like a stable wife instead of a farmer's daughter. However, she couldn't escape the speculative stares of hawk-eyed women that seemed to have sharper vision of what was not and what was to have in female wear. Needless to say, they saw right through her. Why must she experience this? Jane simply sighed quietly as to not show obvious discomfort towards them and shook it off. Sadly though, she also came to realize their stares and now increased glares were now present because of something far from the matter of clothing.
"What is the Viscount doing with a peasant girl?" She heard one whisper. "I'd be more suitable in standing by his side instead of that filthy twat!" Now, that was a bee sting. How in heaven's name were they to judge?
"Do not worry!" Her escort whispered closely with his eyes still facing forward. "Their words mean nothing."
At that, the poor lady seemed to ease off at his kind encouragements. Perhaps, she was simply being too judgmental before.
"Oh! Do you see that?" The man said, this time rather loudly. He was pointing towards a flowery park with a canopy of bloom and colors on its brightest.
"Oh my..." Jane gawked.
In front of them were grey, steel gates with strange complex design that was made to impress. There were also of course, like the other streets, lamp posts surrounding it but the special two that stood before the entrance gate seemed to give more of a glow to the flowers and vines that pushed through metal bars for display. It was undeniably enchanting. Jane reminded herself that she would come and visit this wondrous garden at night where there would be lightings. In fact, she just remembered that it was nearly evening already so the time to wait wasn't long. As she glanced towards the face of her handsome escort, a wide smile painted his facial features and it wasn't difficult to figure out why.
"This is Canopy Garden" he whispered in awe as if it was his first time being here. "Because it conveys a canopy of blooming life." He said.
"Don't you just love it?" He asked with much enthusiasm as he looked towards the equally dumbstruck lady. "The Garden emphasizes a larger fascination during night time though. But even so, simply standing in front of its gates make me praise its prowess in beauty." He explained.
"Oh dear God! This must be the most beautiful park in England!" The brunette exclaimed as she clapped her hands together, attracting the judging eyes of pedestrians walking past her. As she realized that her tone of voice had gone beyond what was generally acceptable, especially in front of him, she slightly sunk down out of fear. Jane knew she must have done something wrong because the inner voice inside her head told her so. It was like an instant shout that alerted her if she was currently breaking the rules of proper social appearances; most likely caused from her disciplining years. But it also did not take her long to realize, that destroying her posture made things worst. However, as she turned to glance at his reaction, it wasn't one of disgust nor resentment. The man beside her smiled genuinely and, for all that is holy, was that a blush?
"I-I apologize... Again." She murmured quietly, her voice barely audible. The brunette held her hands up in front of her face to try and cover her embarrassment if that did any good.
"Oh there is nothing to be embarrassed about! This Park, after all, was constructed to make people ecstatic." He said as he faced Jane who relaxed a bit at his statement. For a man with such class, she was fairly surprised at these kind actions. As confused as she was though, Jane let that thought pass as the said man had gently palmed her elbows and guided her inside the realm of exquisite flora. The brunette, at first, did believe that the place was big but as they stepped inside the gates to get a clearer view of what was inside, she gaped widely. The garden was enormous. It had the largest space for something that was actually enclosed. There was nothing like this back in the farm and she really did take her time to amaze herself. There were so many types of plants, flowers, and trees she had never seen or heard of and like a child, she immediately took of from her sturdy heels with a heart further pounding and her eyes glimmering from wonder. She ran towards the first bush of roses that caught her sight and bent down to lift its blooming petals with her eyes closed to bask in its great scent.
"These smell... Wonderful" she said as she smiled towards the man beside her and bent over again to caress the enclosed petals of a bud.
"Yes, indeed it is." The Viscount agreed quietly and his face softened as if he'd been suddenly hit with something unknown to either of them. "It is..."
He repeated. This time, gazing at Jane with loving intent.
"Hey! What is that over there?" Abruptly, Jane stood straight and took off forward, leaving the flushed Viscount standing alone.
At the middle of the park, there sat a great waterfall. What was special about this attraction was not only its height being as tall and wide as two king sized beds lined upwards by length, but its prestigious design that let every flowing stream fall gracefully and yet still show such an extravagant shimmer. Other than that, it was also made out of marble. Jane almost argued with herself whether she should touch such a treasure with peasant fingers. This was obviously made for the eyes of the aristocracy and wealthy citizens of England (or anywhere else for that matter).
"Why aren't there people inside?" The young brunette asked the man who was now walking towards her.
"Because they aren't allowed at these hours." He said simply with a grin.
"Then, why are we here?" She asked with piqued curiosity. Jane scanned around as if she had not noticed that there wasn't a single soul beside herself and the Viscount - which she really probably didn't.
"Well, because I am the Viscount." The man said with a proud smile as he stood closely by her side again. "And you see, the Earl asked me a favor to inspect around this park if I had the time. There will be a grand opening next week where in the Queen will visit and meet her peers." He explained as he saw the woman before her, turn to him with wide eyes and pursed lips.
"I-I didn't know that! Of course I did think this place was incredibly beautiful but I didn't know it was newly constructed." She said. "And the Queen! She will be here? That's quite... Shocking. I never knew how she looked like." Jane looked down at her cheep leather shoes with astonishment. Was she even supposed to be standing here?
"Why did you bring me here with you? Surely, I am, without a doubt, not of higher class." Jane asked as she looked up at the handsome man before her again with right eyebrows raised by confusion.
The Viscount absorbed everything Jane had just said and stood still for a while until he smiled once again and opened his mouth to speak.
"You ask so many questions." He chuckled. "That may be so, but it wouldn't hurt to have such a beautiful young woman accompany me. Don't you think so, Ms. Hackett?" And charmingly, he spoke. Each word slipping out of his mouth smoothly and with fluent dialect. Jane blushes lightly at this, once again, unexpected compliment. She silently averted her gaze as she noticed it was rather awkward for her to stare too long. However, unbeknownst to her, the latter person was taking his time enjoying it. The Viscount easily took a liking to this Ms.Hackett for she was not like many other ladies in London. She was very unique in a way that one could easily look over the boundaries of social classes and say she was simply divine.
"You must be tired from walking the whole day. Would you like to sit down with me?" He said and Jane nodded.

For the rest of the hours, they delighted each other with all sorts of conversation. At one moment, the topic could be intellectual and the next thing they new, it changed into something completely silly. Sir. Runciman, at one point, picked up a topic relating to his work and job at being a Viscount. Jane was amazed at getting to know him better and especially when he said he was also a student in medical school; currently on his fourth year. They talked about his family, friends, best friends and the annoying higher peers he'd have to tolerate into spending hours with just to make a peaceful relation or business.
"I expected it to be tough on noblemen like you... But I can't even imagine. "
The brunette put on a stern face, extremely absorbed with the nobleman's stories.
"Well yes, despite our many privileges, one must pay a price to actually keep them." He said. "But I've only been talking about myself. I consider it quite obvious that you are not from London?"
Jane perked up at his question and smiled sweetly at the man.
"Why, yes. I am from Cumbria, specifically Fornside."
Lord Runciman nodded and raised his eyebrows at the newly given information.
"Ah, I see. You're from the farm?" He asked and looked up as if trying to remember something. "I think I recall visiting that place to stay in our old family vacation manor."
"Oh, I see..."
"Yes, yes, you're place is indeed one of the most relaxing places I've been." The Viscount nodded with a wide grin.
"When do you usually stay there?" Jane asked.
"Well, during my leisure weeks once I get a break out of the busy schedules I usually have." He replied.
Jane put on a confused stare and cocked her head to the side slightly.
"Excuse me, but I am just curious. If I am not mistaken, the Viscount does not really have much of a tight line of assignments compared to the ranks above you?" The brunette slowly looked down a bit, probably bothered a bit of what she had just asked. What kind of question was that? She practically insulted his peerage by making such lowly comparisons.
"You are not wrong Ms. Hackett" he replied. "You see, the Earl is quite a lazy arse, if you excuse the term, and he often shoves almost all of his duties to me by simply making false reasons such as feeling "under the weather" or "very sickly". Oh, but I see through them very well! He just wants to go around and flirt with women." The Viscount of Berkshire exclaimed and then laughed it off rather hardly as he threw his head back with a hand hovering his abdomen. On the other hand, Jane was quite disgusted at this description of the Earl. She felt so repulsed at the highly irresponsible ways the Viscount had so talked about and began to feel her heart beat at such strong revolt.
The Earl has more of the important duties to be done and yet he prefers to waste all the precious time to swoon ladies. She thought to herself. What a disgusting man.

It was already around 6:30 when they realized they had to return. The sun had almost set completely with only a slight tint of dark orange ornamenting the skies. Jane and the Viscount left Canopy Garden with a feeling of both satisfaction which later on evolved into one of disappointment. He had requested to walk the young brunette back home but as they were nearing their destination, they knew they had to bid each other farewells. Sadly, one that may mean that seeing each other again would be a thin chance. As Lord Runciman said earlier, he was busy most of the time and today was simply one of the rarest he'd receive as leisure.

Jane is now standing in front of the porch of Mr. and Mrs. Barnette. With one big inhale, she turned around to look at the charming man she had so delightfully enjoyed her afternoon with.
"I... Uhm..." She stuttered as she averted her eyes for the hundredth time today. "It was a pleasure meeting you, Viscount Runciman. I am very honored." Jane settled on that and did the most courteous bow that she could ever muster up doing.
"Likewise, Ms. Hackett." He said with a half hearted smile. He paused for a moment, still standing in front of her as he did not want to leave yet. Honestly, this was one of the most exciting experiences he'd had. Through out his years of boredom from being enveloped with letters, paperwork and complying with his silly best friend's requests, today was completely different in such a way he would never desire to let go of.
"This isn't going to be the last time we meet, that is for sure." He said sternly. "If ever there will be a time that I will be free, I'll turn to you first." And how his smile did wonders to her heart.
He really loves to show his teeth. Jane thought with a smile that could never compete with his.
"That is lovely, Viscount Runciman. I certainly cannot wait until the next time."

N/A: WOW! Such bad researching skillz. If you've noticed, I actually had to change a couple of minor things from the last chapter since my research was not accurate. Like, at all. Back then, the peerage were called "Lord and Lady" instead of "Sir" and whoop I have so many editing to do! So sorry for the very annoying inaccuracies. Also, Viscount is like "vice count" and yes the meaning is similar to "Vice President".  You know the role.