VI. The Runner

"WATCH OUT!!" newt screams.

Too late. I feel something, or someone rather, slam into me. I try to keep my balance but it's useless, whoever it is was moving really fast, and the momentum of the crash sends us tumbling to be ground.

Ground, sky, ground, Sky, ouch rock! More ground, more sky.

We only roll for a couple of seconds before coming to a stop, but it feels like an eternity.

"Owww" I moan as I try to untangle myself from the jumble of limbs. Finally free of the mess, I sit up to survey the situation, glancing beside me at the person who ran me over. He lays on the ground holding his head. "He" turns out to be a heavily muscled Asian kid. His short black hair is spiked up and somehow, even after running in to me and rolling down a hill, nearly perfect. Unlike mine, which is completely messed up and thrown all over the place. How in the world did he get it to stay like that? He wears a blue short sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up, assumably to show off his massive biceps. I look up and see Newt trotting down the hill towards us. He apparently thinks this is funny, as he is laughing hysterically.

"What the shuck happened?" the boy demands, just as Newt finally reaches us. I should probably be scared of him, considering his size and apparently strength, but his tone only makes me angry.

"I don't know? maybe you should ask yourself that question, since you ran into me." I snap. Doesn't he know that I'm new, it's not my fault for whatever happened. I literally have no clue about anything right now, how was I supposed to know he was going to run through here?

"Seriously Minho you need to watch where you're going," Newt says through fits of laughter. So this is the Minho guy I keep hearing about.

"Whatever shuck-face," Minho says, moving to stand up. He sounds furious,  but when I look at him, he's smiling and shaking his head. I decide they must be friends.

I try to stand up, but the instant I put weight on my left leg, white hot pain rips through my body. I gasp before falling to the ground again.  Opening my eyes, I groan and sit up, grabbing my ankle in an effort to stop the searing pain.

"You ok greenie?" Newt asks, walking over and crouching in front of me.

"Does it look like I'm ok?" I ask, the pain making my voice sound tight and cold.  Newt finally stops laughing, maybe realizing that I'm actually hurt.

"Oh," he says seeing that my ankle is already swollen and starting to turn purple. 

"Uh can you walk?" He asks. I stand up again, favoring my right leg, and hesitantly try to take a step, but my ankle screams in pain and my leg gives out in protest. I would have collapsed again if Newt hadn't caught me. He lowers me back to the ground.

"Nope, guess not." I say bitterly. One day and I'm already hurt. Wonderful.

"Alright Minho, you go get the med-jacks" Newt sighs, sitting down beside me. "I'll wait with the greenie."

"Oh shuck it I'll just carry her."

"Are you sure, even after running all day?" Newt asks, looking more than a little surprised. Why? I'm not sure.

"Oh please I could do it and then go run again," Minho says, flexing his biceps and rolling his eyes. Newt raises his eyebrows and looks at me. I just shrug, as I can feel the heat starting to spread across my face. I hate being this weak. Minho walks over and bends down in front of me, slipping one arm under my legs and the other around my back, scooping me up bridal style. After being thrown into this chaos, completely alone, without even a memory of someone, the feeling of being touched is strange.