VIII. No

"But Neeewwt!!!" I whine slamming my head backwards in frustration.

"No Skylar, you aren't going anywhere." Newt says,  crossing his arms. He's leaning against the door frame of the Med-jack room, aka my current prison. Even though I like Newt and he's one of my best friends here, he can be so stubborn sometimes. These last few days he's been driving me especially crazy.

"Newt I can't stay in this shuck room for one more day." I argue, using one of the glader words without really meaning to, it's surprising how fast you pick them up.

"Skylar, you can't even walk." Newt sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers and tilting his head back against the wall. We've had this argument at least ten times over the four days I've been stuck in this stupid room. After I sprained my ankle, Newt had insisted that I stay here and recover. Well I'd  had enough of that. Sure, some people visited me: Kate, Newt and even Minho a few times, but I was bored out of my mind. I had to get out. I had lost the sadness a long time ago, having thought that to death, and had moved on to pure boredom. While it was nice to feel as if I would survive without breaking into a million pieces, I wanted so badly to leave.

"Can too." I say, swinging my legs over the bed and walking towards him. I'm limping, but I no longer fall over, and the pain isn't really that bad anymore.

"No, you're not ready, end of discussion." He says turning to leave. He glances back over his shoulder one last time, making sure I stay put. Seeing that Newt isn't going to budge, I suddenly have an idea.

"Fine, but you are letting me out tomorrow...whether you like it or not." I sigh, putting on my best defeated face. He looks surprised I agreed to stay, but nods before walking out. Haha victory! Little does he know I have absolutely no intentions of staying in this room for yet another mind-numbing day. I should have about five minutes before Clint comes to check on me. Quickly, I pack my things and make my bed, glancing around the room until I find a piece of paper and pencil. laughing to myself, I jot down a short note.

Clint-
took the bloody greenie with me, she was buggin drivin' me nuts about leaving. - Newt

Newt is really going to hate me for this one. The best part is I know Clint will buy it, he's too naive, and the thought is too believable. I have been driving Newt insane, and begging to leave. Too easy, I think as I set the note on my cot, putting a rock on it to keep it from blowing away.

I sneak out the door, pausing and looking both ways to make sure I don't get caught. I spot Newt on his way to the farm fields, his back turned as he walks away. This is my chance. I bolt out of the trees and run across the clearing, not stopping until I've made it into the homestead. My running is awkward and clumsy due to my ankle, but fast none the less. It hurts, but the pain is well worth the accomplishment. I grin to myself as I head up the stairs into my room. Slowly, I twist the handle, trying my best to be quiet as I push the door open into the room. No such luck.

"What the He...." Kate starts, but I put a finger to my lips, shushing her and shutting the door behind me.

"Skylar, what are you doing here.. I thought Newt said you couldn't come out for.....wait a minute." She says looking at me accusingly. I smile innocently, but she must see the evil glint in my eyes.

"You snuck out didn't you." She asks laughing.

I bite my lip and nod. "I just couldn't stay there one more second, I was seriously losing my mind." I say pressing my palm to my face.
"my secret is safe right?"

"Course, I couldn't understand why he wouldn't let you out anyway."

"Good I didn't want to have to kill you." I say, causing us both burst into a fit of laughter. Suddenly I hear someone on the other side of the door.

"You are coming to work today, right Kate?" Minho. A few days ago he told me that he was keeper of the runners, and since Kate's a runner, that basically makes him her boss.

"Yess Minho, I'm coming." Kate rolls her eyes and crosses the room to open the door. Minho is standing there, arms crossed over his chest, looking annoyed. maybe he won't notice me?

"Oh hey greenie, didn't know you were up yet." He says questioningly. Did newt literally warn everyone that I wasn't supposed to be up?

"well erm..uh, I was feeling a lot better today." I say, not making eye contact, afraid of looking guilty...which I am, but still.

"Hmm... I see," He says, eyeing me suspiciously, "don't worry I won't tell Newt." He laughs at the shocked look on my face. "He always goes a little overboard with the recovery. Hey, you can come with us if you want, we're just studying the maps today." He shrugs. I see Kate raise her eyebrows at him. What was that about? Is he not supposed to bring me or something?

"You sure?" I ask not wanting to intrude or get in more trouble than I'm already in.

"Ya, I mean if you don't want to its fine...." He says quickly, rubbing the back of his neck.

I cut him off. "No it's fine I just didn't want to get in trouble." I pause, "well more trouble."

"Nah I'm the keeper, so if I say it's fine you're cool," He laughs, "But it's going to be pretty boring."

"Anything beats laying in that stupid med-jack room," I reply, shaking my head in disgust.

"K then greenie, we better go, since we're already late, thanks to this shank." He flicks his head towards Kate.

"Oh whatever." She says punching him lightly as we head down the stairs, jogging out of the homestead.