XXVI. Tooth and Nail

It's been two weeks since the gathering, and Newt has finally decided to let me leave the med-jack room. I'm not allowed to do anything however, so my day mostly consists of me wandering around, completely bored out of my mind.

"Yes I'm fine." I answer Mal for the fiftieth time today. Since Kate and Minho are out running, she has taken it upon herself to look after me. Mal has changed a lot since she first got here, she is no longer the shy, terrified girl who showed up in the box and I'm proud of her.

"Ok just making sure." She says looking nervously at me. "Minho and Kate would K-I-L-L, kill me if anything happened to you."

Minho and Kate have not left my side since the moment I woke up, one or the other was always there, and when I say always, I mean always. I appreciate that they care, but it gets annoying after awhile, and I'm tired of being babysat. Today is the first day since the 'incident' that they have gone into the maze. Minho didn't even want to go today, but I convinced him that I would survive one day by myself, even though I'm not even close to alone; at least thirty people have asked me if I was ok, if I was feeling better ect. ect. I am feeling better, for the most part, the most painful thing being my broken rib and shoulder -the only things that haven't really healed yet.

"Hey Sky! You're up!" Frypan says as we walk into the kitchen for lunch. When I found out that he saved me bacon when I got stuck in the maze, I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe, which hurt insanely bad due to my broken rib, but it made my day. Not everyone had given up on me. I made a promise to be extra nice to frypan after that.

"Yep." I comment, laughing lightly, not sure what else to say.

"So how's it feel to be a glade legend?" He asks as he hands Mal and I a sandwich. Ever since I walked out of the med-jack room I've noticed countless people staring in awe or pointing and whispering to the other gladers. Besides asking if I was ok, no one has really spoken to me, they all stare from a distance as if I'm a ghost or something, I hate it. The ones that do ask if I'm ok, do so from a distance, eyeing me warily.

"Eh, I just want to be normal again." I say with a shrug. They only bonuses to being special was more food and I could sleep as long as I wanted.

Frypan gives me a understanding nod as I follow Mal to sit down at our usual table. I look at the ground as I feel the other gladers stares follow me across the room.

"Hey Guys." Newt says joining us at our table. "How ya feelin' Sky?"

"Like a bug under a microscope." I say flatly, fed up with all the staring.

"sorry I bloody asked." He replies shaking his head. "Oh I forgot to give you this, we collected it along with the griever needle." He holds out a small yellowish object about the size of my hand, it is sharp and bends into a pointed end.

"A griever tooth?" Mal asks in horror.
Newt nods and hands me the tooth, which I turn over in my hands. The sides are sharp with a serrated edge, while the rest of the tooth is smooth. It feels weird to hold something so deadly in my hand.

"Thanks, it's the perfect souvenir." I say laughing a little at the odd gift. I decide I'm going to make a necklace out of it.

After lunch we return to the glade, Mal is helping the track-hoes today. She is still trying out all the jobs, all though I'm sure she'll get med-jack. During her training day I was still bed ridden, so I got to watch her, and let me tell you: Mal was born to be a med-jack.

I glance around and notice someone staring at me, Jessica. Ever since the gathering she has avoided me, not that I'm surprised, but a thank you would be nice. I did save her life after all, a decision I've taken a lot of heat for. After the meeting everyone was shocked by my vote to let her live. Minho was actually mad at me, especially after he found out that she threatened me over him. He very quickly clarified that, telling her he would never like someone like her, and to stay away from me or else. It was kind of funny actually.

"Sky!" Kate squeals attacking me in a hug, and derailing my train of thought.

"Kate....owww." I wince causing her to immediately let go.

"Well I'm glad you're up! I gotta go map, sorry!" Kate yells as she jogs toward the map room, her dark hair bouncing along behind her.

Mal is busy so I decide to go exploring on my own. I walk through the deadheads, enjoying the peaceful calm of the trees. Walking along until I eventually reach a place I've never seen before. A small clearing in the trees stretches out in front of me. A field full of blooming wild flowers and chirping birds, butterflies flit from flower to flower their wings shining in the sunlight. It's beautiful. walking to a dead tree that lays sideways in the center of the field, I sit down, the tall grass scratching my legs as I pass through it. Soon, I find my self dozing in the warm sun, idly playing with a flower I found near by. I'll get up in a minute, I think as I struggle to keep my eyes open. Well maybe if I just take a short nap.

"Sky!! Sky?!" Minho's frantic voice jolts me awake. I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep.

"Ya, I'm here!" I call out still a little dazed. I stand up, using the log for balance.

"Oh, don't do that to me." Minho sighs, pulling me into a hug, it hurts but I deal with it.

"Sorry, I fell asleep." I say yawning and stretching out my arms.

"Well we better go back, you really freaked everyone out, especially Mal." He says laughing a little, now that he knows I'm alright. "Come on let's go."

"Ok." I say intertwining our fingers as we set off walking towards the homestead.

"So how you feeling?" He asks once we've walked a little ways, the dead leaves crunching under our feet as we go.

"Like a piece of klunk."

"Good to know, what hurts?" He asks, Minho is one of the few people here that doesn't treat me like I'm weak, instead, he helps me stay strong.

"Mostly my shoulder." I say shrugging, which makes it hurt worse.

"What about your broken rib?"

"Only when I breathe." I say rolling my eyes. I've almost gotten used to the pain, learning to take faster, shallow breaths rather than deep ones, the pain now only a dull, aching, throb.

"Not much we can do about that." He says smirking. I trip over myself and almost fall straight into a tree.

"I know you can't stop staring at me, but seriously Sky, watch where you're going." Minho snickers catching me just before I hit the tree.

"Oh please, I'm just clumsy." I say pulling my hand out of his and crossing my arms, giving him an evil smirk.

"Whatever shuck-face." He laughs winking as he puts an arm around my waist. I uncross my arms, laughing as we walk out of the deadheads and into the glade. My home, and my prison.

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*
Official ship name : Minlar!