XII. Med-Jack Mischief

"So what do you think you want?" Kate asks, re-braiding her long brown hair in front of the mirror. I was surprised at how quickly my little incident had been forgiven, but they all seemed to understand how hard adjusting had been. I really was better now, and was pretty sure I was over the initial string of break downs and freak outs. Yeah, I was probably about as used to it as I was going to get.

"Er..I don't know I haven't tried them all yet." It's been three weeks since I first woke up in the box, and ever since my ankle healed I've been trying out all the different jobs in the glade. I hated most of them. I've still got two more however, and the last two are the only ones I ever really considered anyways. Today I'm a med-jack, tomorrow, a runner. Once I've tried all the jobs, the keepers will have a meeting to decide which one I get. Lucky for me I'll probably get whatever I want, being friends with the second in command has its perks, not to mention Minho and Clint who are also keepers.

I sigh as we walk down to breakfast, choosing is going to be hard. As we approach the dining hall the smell of grease frying wafts through the air. Bacon. My favorite. Frypan smiles and waves to us when we walk in, he knows bacon is my favorite. Overall, Frypan is actually one of the nicer people here, and despite all of the jokes about his cooking, the food is usually pretty good. We sit at our usual table in the corner, joined a few minutes later by Newt, Minho, Clint and Alby.

"So greenie, you ready for today? Think ya can handle it?" Clint says, stuffing a piece of pancake into his mouth. He's the keeper of the med-jacks, so I'll be working with him today, along with Jeff and one of the others.

"Pssh, I could do your job in my
Sleep." I say, rolling my eyes in his direction. Everyone laughs.

"Have fun dealing with that all day." Minho says elbowing Clint in the ribs. After repeated assurances that I could handle it, Minho had resumed teasing me, which I usually enjoyed, but it could get annoying . It was a weird balance, but I was glad for the back and forth,  it helped me forget about the stupid Maze.

"Ha. She's yours tomorrow, besides
she can't be any worse than you." Clint retorts shoving Minho, who almost falls off the bench.

"Is that a challenge?" I ask raising my eyebrows.

"No it definitely wasn't," Clint groans, shaking his head. We all laugh, which I've decided, is a very good distraction from our current situation of being stuck inside a maze.

After breakfast we head to the med-jack room, which, unfortunately, I'm all too familiar with. Being clumsy can cause some problems, although not all of the incidents were my fault. I'm looking at you Minho, I think before smiling to myself. Ever since he ran me over, we've been friends, much to Newt's dismay. Poor Newt, between me, Minho, and Kate, he's got his hands full, put us together and well, let's just say we can cause quite a bit of problems for him.

"Alright greenie, you get this one, think you can handle it?" Clint says snapping me out of my daydreams. I look up to see one of the slicers standing in the doorway holding a bloody hand.

"Ok, let me see," I say as he sits down on one of the cots.

When he pulls his hand away, I can see a nasty cut running across his palm, it's bleeding a lot but looks shallow.

"So what's your name?" I ask, trying to distract him as I clean the wound.

"Wins..." He winces "Winston." He says through clenched teeth. Now that I have cleaned off most of the blood, I can see that the cut is pretty shallow and won't require stitches.

"Ok, Winston it doesn't look like you need stitches." I look to Clint to make sure I'm correct, and he nods. "I'm just going to wrap it real quick." I say grabbing gauze and a roll of bandages. "Try to keep it dry and clean."