XLIII. Out of time

"Run with me today." Minho says as we stand together in front the maze doors. Today we woke up to a strange sky, the sun completely missing, a cold grey ceiling in its place. I always knew something was off about the sky in the glade, it never rained and the sun never looked quite right, it was just a little too orange. But sun or no sun, we still had a maze to run. The strange 'weather' however, had Minho insisting that I run with him.

"I can't Minho, plus you've got Thomas to look out for." I answer.

"You can help me with him, Pleeeeaaassee Sky, run with me?" He begs, grabbing my hand. He stares at me wide eyed until I give in.

"Oh fine, but it's your fault my section didn't get run." I say, lacing our fingers together. Its not like I was going to find anything anyways.

"Okaayyy." He says, finally happy at getting what he wanted. "Actually we are going to run your section, I think it would be good for Thomas to see a new one, plus, I'm the keeper anyways so who cares."

"Ya, ya lets go." I say, but in reality I'm glad to run with him, between everything that's happened, we haven't exactly been spending a lot of time together. I am eager to get away from the eerie silence of the glade, as if somehow I can run away from the feeling that we are quickly running out of time. The feeling had resurfaced this morning, fueled by the quiet, panicked chatter that filled the air. Work had started hours late, and only after a lot of yelling from Newt and Alby. Nothing like the sun disappearing to disrupt your schedule. Every thing was off-kilter and I was eager to get away from it.

"Come on greenie." Minho says waving Thomas forward with his other hand.

"Good luck today Thomas, I feel very sorry for you." Kate says, the opening doors almost drowning out her comment.

"What do you mean?" Thomas asks, frowning at her statement.

"Running with both of them, yikes." She answers, faking a shudder. Thomas is two naïve to know she's joking, and looks at us nervously as we take off running.

"Oh shut up Kate, at least he doesn't have to run with you." I retort, rolling my eyes.  Poor Thomas looks like a deer in the headlights, caught in the middle of our argument.

"Whatever shuck-face." Kate says, before turning into her section.

Once we've run awhile, Thomas speaks up. "Is she like your enemy or something?"

"Naw, she's my best friend." I answer laughing. "We all joke around a lot, you'll get used to it."

"It didn't sound like you were joking."

"We were, trust me, it's normal." I say turning my head half way around to look at him.

"Sky watch where you're going!" Minho yells, but it's too late, I run straight into the corner of the wall, hitting my head hard on the stone before falling to the maze floor.

"Owww." I mumble, sitting up and rubbing my forehead. As if my face wasn't messed up enough already.

"You ok?" Minho asks, offering me his hand.

"Ya I'm fine." I say, letting him pull me to my feet.

"You are the clumsiest person sometimes." He laughs, shaking his head. I'm about to respond when I notice someone missing.

"Shuck where's Thomas?" I ask spinning around to look for him. It's never good when someone disappears in the maze, but knowing Thomas, he probably just wandered off.