XLVIII. Last stand

"What?! are you jacked in the head?" Kate shouts as the room descends into a chaotic jumble of arguments, everyone yelling to be heard over the noise.

"Think about it? Where else haven't we looked?" Thomas snaps back.

"Nowhere." Minho mutters beside me. "He's right there's no where else."

"You can't be serious?" Kate asks again.

"I hate to say it, but Thomas is right." I sigh. "Where else could it be?"

"This is bloody crazy, you know that right." Newt says, characteristically running his hand through his hair and sighing.

"Newt we have to do something? Everyday we stay here someone dies." Thomas says, gesturing around the room. "What if it's one of us? What if it's her." Thomas points to Mal, he's just trying to make a point, but that's too far. Mal looks shocked for a second before turning, like the rest of us, too look at Newt. Too far Thomas, too far.

"Yeah? Well maybe it will be Teresa? Or maybe it will be you Tommy?" Newt snaps, he looks furious. I can tell by his hurt look that Thomas realizes his mistake as soon as Newt says Teresa, but it's too late. "Take him to the slammer, now."

"I'm sorry Newt, I didn't mean it." He begs, but Minho and Frypan are already moving forwards to grab him. "Newt please, you're not really going to do this now?" Thomas begs, desperate.

"Ya I am actually," Newt says, and with that he turns around, his back to Thomas.

"Tell him this is ridiculous." Thomas says, looking around at the rest of us. Most won't meet his eyes, but I do, not feeling in the least bit guilty for letting him get dragged away. If anything he'll be safer than the rest of us. You just don't go there, and Thomas needs to learn that. Sometimes breaking the unspoken rules is almost worse than breaking the written ones. Thomas continues to break both, and we're all getting tired of it.

"It's your fault, you're lucky you don't have a broken nose." I tell Thomas, when Minho turns the keys to his cell. Minho laughs behind me, and I'm sure he's thinking of the time Gally was stupid enough to threaten me. Thomas just looks confused, glancing back and forth between Minho and I.

"I didn't mean it, I was just making a point." Thomas says with a shrug.

"Ya well, next time make sure your point doesn't include Newt's girlfriend, trust me, if it's them or you, you'll be alone." I say, angry at him for suggesting Mal could die, she's terrified enough as it is, Thomas doesn't need to make it worse.

"I'm really sorry, I was just over excited." Thomas says, finally realizing arguing isn't getting him anywhere.

"Great, we'll be sure to take that in to account tomorrow when we let you out, now I'm sorry Thomas, but you can't just keep breaking all the rules."

"It's not as bad as it seems, I quite enjoyed the night I had to stay in the slammer." Minho tells him, an evil grin spreading across his face.

"That's because you didn't actually have to stay, shuck-face." I say rolling my eyes at him.

"Ya well.... I was just trying to be optimistic." Minho says, faking a frown.

"Oh? And since when are you anything but negative?"

"Since you came!" He protests, picking me up and spinning me in circles. I break into giggles, begging for him to put me down.