XIV. Be careful Don't die.

My eyes flicker open as sun light streams over the walls of the glade. Wait what? Why the heck am I outside? I sit up in confusion, then looking around I remember, the bonfire. I blush spreads across my cheeks as I remember all the events of last night. I look beside me but, much to my disappointment, Minho is gone. Newt still lays sleeping on his back a few feet away, as do most of the gladers. I yawn and stand up, by the smell of it, frypan is already awake too. Well I might as well get breakfast before we have to run.

I walk over to where Kate sleeps curled up on her side. Reaching down, I cover her mouth with my hand, then I kick her lightly with the side of my foot. Her eyes pop open in surprise, which quickly transforms into anger. "What the.....you slinthead." She whisper-yells, sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

"We still have to run today, look what time it is." I point to my watch. She moans but stands up next to me.

"Alright let's go." She says heading towards the kitchen. I laugh to myself, glad Kate was already asleep when Minho kissed me. If she'd been awake? I'd never hear the end of it. At least I know Newt will keep it quiet.

As we walk into to get breakfast I look for Minho, no sign of him. Weird. Where did that shank go? I push the thoughts out of my mind as Kate drags me to the doors. He'll be here, he has to, unless he quit, which I seriously doubt. We woke up late so there isn't much time before the doors open. I stand there trying to finish my apple before we leave. Finally about a minute before the doors are set to open he shows up.

"Where have you been? What, did you get lost or something?" Kate asks sarcastically, speaking my mind for me.

"Shut up Kate, and Oh, by the way Skylar is running with you today." He says, his voice completely emotionless. Both of us turn to look at him. He won't even look at me. Pain flashes across my face, then it turns to anger.

When he doesn't respond to our stares Kate speaks, "uh ok, if you're sure..." She gives me a quizzical look. I wipe the pain and anger off of my face and shrug. I will not let him, or anyone else have the satisfaction of knowing how much it bothers me.

The doors open and we take off running, "be careful, don't die." Minho says flatly as we separate. I don't even respond, I just turn and follow Kate into the maze.

It's easier the second time, and I even master the art of cutting vines as I run. Eventually We stop for lunch, Kate and I sitting cross legged against the maze walls. "What was Minho's problem this morning? And why did he send you with me?" She asks, clearly trying to come up with an explanation.

"Who cares." I say, and it comes out harsher than I meant for it to. "You're more fun to run with anyways." She looks at me skeptically. "I'm serious." I say and it's true, while Minho might be a better runner, he never talks and he's overly critical. While helpful, it isn't fun. Plus I basically have to sprint to keep up with him. She gives me a strange look.

"Did something happen between you guys?" Kate says giving me a concerned look. I lean my head back and sigh, trying to decide whether or not to tell her. Apparently my sighing was admission enough for her. Because she gives me no choice. "What happened." She demands.

"Uh well....." I awkwardly grab the back of my neck. I don't exactly know how to tell her. Kate is my best friend, I remind myself if I can tell anyone, it's Kate.

".............and now he's acting like this." I say finishing my explanation.

"That bugging slinthead!!" She yells "come on we're going to kick his shucking butt." She says starting to stand.