Dominico Redwind: Friend or Fiend?

"He is so cute! Oh my gosh! He's in so many of my classes! I can't wait to see if he's in the rest of them too! You are so lucky that you sit by him in Social Studies!" Jaz squeals in joy. She has not stopped talking about stupid Dominico Redwind since lunch started fifteen minutes ago.

"Good gravy Jaz!" Ryan finally exclaims, "He's can't be that cute! Faye, is he that cute?"

"No!" I snap to both of their surprise. I look back at my food and rip off a piece of my bagel with strawberry cream cheese smeared on it. I don't want to talk about Dominico Redwind, I don't want to think about Dominico Redwind, I don't want to go to the same school as Dominico Redwind. Any thoughts of mine that said he was cute left as soon as I saw those loathsome silver eyes. Why couldn't his eyes have matched his clothing like a witch's or been that beautiful shade of gold like a wizard even! No, it had to be silver. He was a manipulator of humans, just like all warlocks.

"Well then you're blind!" Jaz reprimands me, "He is so cute! Did you see him staring at you! I was so jealous! But then we started talking and he was so thankful that he sat by you because he was nervous about being behind in this school! He's so smart and sweet and..." Manipulative, egotistical, evil, malicious, cruel, unnatural, tyrant, arrogant, hideous...

"Perfect!" Jaz finishes. Oh, he is anything but that. Dominico Redwind and all the rest of his warlock kin were crimes against nature. I roll my eyes at Jaz's enthusiasm. "OMG I think he's looking over here! Faye is he looking at me?! OMG!" I stand up and nonchalantly head over to the side of the auditeria where they keep the napkins. Plucking one out, I look over to the table where Dominico and his younger sister, Izabella, are sitting.

Izabella is dressed in all black like her brother. I'm pretty sure warlocks are allergic to attractive colors because all of the warlocks I have ever seen are hard-core Goth. Izabella is a small girl, even for a freshman she is tiny. Her straight black hair falls to her waist, shielding the back of her long, floor-reaching dress which is simply adorned with black lace up the front. Her face is as pale as the moon and she has the same statue like, chiseled features except how small all her features were. Her bangs fall down to shield attention away from her own glowing, cold silver eyes.

As a matter of fact, Dominico was not looking at our table. At least not right now. Right now he is staring directly at me. Why is he staring at me like that? He can't know that I'm a witch. It's impossible. We don't have those freaky senses that make us smell out wizards, warlocks or witches or anything. We have as good of a guess as any other mortal would. The only way he could tell is if he saw me do magic which I never, under any circumstances, do at school, no matter how bad I want to. Other than that he'd have to have noticed my eyes but my eyes are green like a fourth of this school has. He can't know. It's impossible.

I feel Dominico's stare follow me back to the table,

"He's definitely looking over here," I tell Jaz whose eyes light up. Well now he's definitely looking over here. I can still feel his intense gaze on my back.

"Does anyone else think that he could be a legit stalker when he grows up?" Ryan asks. I raise my hand up off the table. Jaz gasps and looks at the two of us, offended.

"You guys are so mean! Picking on the new kid! When did I become friends with bullies?" she asks, turning away from us to give us the cold shoulder. I groan. You can't safely leave Jaz mad at you. Like I said before, she's tiny but mighty.

"Sorry. He's probably into you then, if he's not a stalker." I say. I think he's a stalker. Seriously, a warlock would be an awesome stalker. Not that they'd have to wait too long to get whatever they wanted. Stupid warlocks.

The lunch bell rings and Ryan and I head to our sixth period Math while Jaz hops off to her choir class. If Dominico is in her choir class I may have to pop by with a recording device to capture a warlock singing Call Me Maybe, school version and post it on YouTube. That would be hilarious.