The Warlock

The Warlock

DOMINICO’S POV!

“Come on, Ryan and Faye are over there,” I say to Rosaline and Alec and pull them in the direction of Faye and Ryan who are leaning up against their lockers, lost in conversation. I haven’t talked to either of them in a whole week. I’m having a weirdness withdraw. I want to know why Ryan’s hair is standing up in a Mohawk today or why every time Faye touches anything there is a spark of electricity. I want to know why Will Duncombe had said he was going ‘glitter balling’ after school yesterday or why Melissa and Faye brought a batch of half-dead cookies to the cafeteria today. Or why Izabella and Jaz landed a spot on the school’s online newspaper club. I didn’t care that some girl asked a guy out when she knew her best friend liked him. I didn’t care who Alec was dating at this second because it would probably be over by the end of the day. I didn’t care how awful it was for Rosaline to always be hit on by Vance Fredrick. I didn’t want to know how I should go out for the football team or how I should come to some party this weekend.

“Seriously, Dominico?” Rosaline asks with a look of disgust on her face. “You said yourself that you didn’t know why you hung out with them. Now you don’t have to! Let’s go! I heard Mark Rammon, Julia Henison and their friends were going to the mall after school. We should go catch up with them!”

“You two can go ahead,” I say to Alec and Rosaline and start walking over to Faye and Ryan.

“Okay, man. See you later!” Alec says and pulls Rosaline in the other direction. He flashes me a look that says Run now. Thank goodness for Alec. I hurry away from my two friends to Faye and Ryan. When Ryan sees me he screams and ducks behind Faye.

“ZOMBIE!!!” he yells.

“WE THOUGHT YOU DIED!” Faye exclaims. “I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU’RE ALIVE!” I feel like slamming my head into a locker.

“No, I’m not dead, obviously,” I say.

“Don’t listen to him, Faye. They’ll say anything to get close enough to bite you!” Ryan warns.

“He stayed up all night watching Walking Dead.” Faye explains.

“Oh. Why is his hair in a Mohawk?” I ask her.

“He thinks it will make him cooler. And Melissa said that no one could pull off a Mohawk so he’s trying to prove her wrong,” she says.

“And I did!” Ryan exclaims. Faye rolls her eyes as Ryan stands up from crouching behind her.

“Whatever. Do you need a ride?” Faye asks. Oh yeah. Alec drove to school today.

“Um…sure. Where are you guys going?” I ask.

“I have to go home. Ugh. Chores,” Ryan says. “So let us gravitate like celestial bodies to the parking lot!” he exclaims and skips ahead of me and Faye.