Now I see his point....being in the dark sucks!

Friday. Thank goodness it’s Friday. So much has happened over the course of the past week it’s unbelievable. Ryan went missing, his mom was possessed, we chased the culprit from his house and Izabella blasted me and Dominico to the ground. You think you did a lot this week! What did you do? A math test? Yeah. Me too but it didn’t compare to all this crazy other stuff!

And the madness doesn’t end. That would be too easy, says the Universe. The same Universe who somehow controls the red lights so that whenever you’re running late you hit every single one. Of course if you’re early you’re there zip zip, no problem. I’m beginning to hate the Universe. Anyway, that was off topic. Madness. That’s what I was thinking about. Like when Ryan sat down next to be on the bus this morning. I think I had a heart attack! (Don’t act like you didn’t just think of the Demi Lovato song, I know you did and I’m not even a warlock!)

That was actually the song playing through my ear buds when my pink-haired friend plopped down next to me.

“Ooh! You bought a new song! Finally!” Ryan had said. To which I not-so-calmly replied,

“RYAN! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?! ARE YOU OK? YOU MISSED SCHOOL! YOU’RE MOM DIDN’T KNOW WHERE YOU WERE AND IZABELLA AND I…” I noticed how many people were staring. Times like this I wish I was a warlock. Ryan rolls his eyes.

“Chill out. I was gone for two days. I know you missed my awesomeness and all but seriously Faye. I have never heard you say that much before 8:00 A.M. like ever. Are you feeling alright?”

“Am I? Where the heck were you!?” I ask, my mouth is hanging open and I’m tempted to slap him, just to make sure he’s actually here. You know, that I’m not hallucinating because I was chasing freaky people in back-glass out of his yard last night.

“I thought you knew? I went on a vacation with my cousins. It was a total surprise or I would have told you. It was awesome though, we went to the beach and, well, at very least weren’t here.” He says, indicating to the dark, cold bus seat. What? No, that was the lie I told Jaz. That wasn’t what actually happened.

“Uh…Cool,” I tell him, stunned.  We ride to the beat of Rock and Roll by Avril Lavigne until we pull up in front of the school. Ryan is acting completely normal. He makes fun of Jaz’s sparkly clothes and she welcomes him back with a friendly (though rather hard) punch in the arm. After that Jaz and I walk down to Social Studies where Dominico is sitting in his seat, cramming for our test today. He looks up when we walk in and sends me an iron-melting glare. I ignore it and sit down at my desk.

“Ryan’s here today,” I tell him, pulling a pencil out of my pencil pouch. That catches his attention for a moment,

“You’re kidding.” I shake my head.

“He says he went on a surprise vacation with his cousins,” I explain. Dominico looks as confused as I am.

“Happy he’s back?” he asks me. I furrow my eyebrows,

“Of course!” I exclaim.

“Then you shouldn’t have anything else to worry about,” he says gruffly. What is his problem?

“Is Izabella alright?” I ask through gritted teeth. I don’t want to talk to him anymore but I want to find out how she is.

“She doesn’t remember using magic so don’t say anything to her about it. It’s best to let her learn to use it when she’s ready. If you bring it up you’ll just confuse her.” His voice is steely and threatening. She’s my friend, you don’t have to threaten me to not hurt her!

“Fine, I won’t. What’s gotten under your skin today?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m fine,” he says.