October 4th

I woke up with a jolt. I'd just had a horrid dream. No... It was a nightmare. I hadn't had a nightmare since a few weeks before I met Jack. He makes the bad things float away. My worst nightmare is for Jack to leave me.

But I was the one who left.

I glanced around my darkened room, listened carefully to see if anyone had been awakened by me, and plopped my head on the pillow.

I couldn't fall asleep. I didn't want Jack to leave me again. I sat back up and slugged out of bed, slipping on some slippers and a robe. I walked as fast as a zombie down the stairs to the kitchen. I began boiling a pot of water so I could make hot chocolate. So what if I'm in the Florida night heat? It's comfort food.

The phone began ringing shrilly as I was pouring my delectable drink into a mug. My automatic thinking was, "someone will get it," then I remembered the other someones were asleep.

I felt around until I found a light switch, blinding me temporarily when it was flicked on. I scanned the room for the phone and picked it up with a groggy, "Hello?"

"Hello, Mrs. Night. Is this you?" said an official-sounding person.

"No, this is her daughter, Victoria Night. Do you need to speak with her? She's asleep, but I can wake her," I said quickly, fumbeling over my nonsense words, still half-asleep.

"Yes, well this is the Vermont State Police Department. Victoria, I may as well tell you this fist, as this is mainly regardin you. Your latest boyfriend, Jack Sommers, was found dead on his living room couch at exactly ten O' Clock tonight. The cause it unknown at the current moment. Miss Night, are you okay?"

My eyes were brimming over with waterfalls of tears. My face was tuning a bright shade of green as I plopped down on the nearest chair. My arms and legs went limp and I almost dropped the phone.

"Miss Night? Victoria? Are you still there?" All my sences were cut off except my hearing. My vision was blurring. Nothing felt real. I couldn't taste the sample of hot chocolate in my mouth any more. That new house smell didn't seem to exist now.

"Miss Night, maybe you should wake up your parents," suggested the officer.

I managed to mutter a weak, "uh-huh" into the phone and dragged myself up the stairs after flicking off the appliences.

I entered my parents' open doorway and said quietly, "mum? Dad? Wake up please. Someone wants to talk to you." My dad turned in his sleep, but my mother's eyes flicked open quickly.

"Honey?" she asked, confused. Then she took one look at my face and sat up faster than a racecar moves. "Are you okay? You look peakid. Did you throw up? You look a bit disoriented. Your limbs are all loose. Are you dizzy, baby? Here, sit." Mother-mode was now activated.

"Mom," I muttered. "No." She gave me a once over and noticed the phone in my hand. Realization dawned on her face. She silently held out a beckoning hamd. I placed the phone there and turned amd left to my room.

I don't have to worry about bad dreams of Jack leaving me.

He already has.