October 8th

I wasn't necessarily intimidated by Gabriela.

I was scared silly by her.

Gabriela was a part of my past and I will never forget her.

I sat in my room, contemplating. I was thinking about Gabriela, Jack, my parents, my newly acquired friends, and just life in general.

It was quite boring, actually.

So I went downstairs for a snack. Halfway down, I heard my cell-phone start ringing.

Dead and Gone was the tone. I'd changed it to that when Jack had passed. 

Jesus Christ... I have to pick that up, don't I?

I sprinted back to my room and snatched my cell off my bed sheets. My room was now totally put together. "Hello?" I asked.

"Hey, it's Chris."

What? I talked to them for more than ten minutes. I was alowed to give them my number

"Hi, Chris," I answered.

"There's a big party. Tonight actually. And uhh... I was wondering if you wanted to go with me?" he asked. "Just as friends, of course. Meghan is out of town and I don't want to look like a loser showing up alone..." he rambled.

Oh great, so now I'm the choice for losers. What am I? Chopped liver?

"Sure. I guess I'll go. Where is it exactly?" I asked. What the hell?- I'll go. Why not try for a social life?

"It's just down the road from your house. I'll walk you there," he offered.

"Sure. Be at my door at...?" I trailed off, not knowing the time it started.

"Seven," he replied.

"See ya then." And I hung up.

I put together an ensemble of an outfit to wear to the party. Nothing way too special, just the usual party dressings.

"Hey, mom," I greeted as I walked down my stairs, a few hours later.

"Where are you going," she asked nonchalently as she was tossing a salad. She had given my apparal a once-over.

"A party," I responded simply. I'd never come home after curfew or drunk or with lost virginity so they were cool with parties.

"You already met people?" she asked, a bit surprised.

"Yeah, during my jog. I met some guys..." I hesitated. I don't want her to become hesitant at letting me go. So I lied. "And a few girls. They were all at this kids house watching the guys play basketball."

"Oh, well have a nice time. Do you need a ride?" she asked sweetly.

"No, one of the guys is walking me there. He said it's just around the bend," I answered.

"Is he ehh... your date?" asked my mom hesitantly. I couldn't tell if that excited her or not.

"No. No, mom. We just met. We're going as friends. He has a girlfriend," I stated, making the point clear so she couldn't misinterpret.

"Oh. Got it." She seemed a bit put-out by this.

Had she really hated Jack this much?

Is that why she threatened him? Was it even him?

Oh shush! Stupid wandering mind... This is not the time for this.

"Okay, hun. Party rules time." She turned around an leane against the counter, looking me straight in the eyes. "No drinking. No drugs. No smoking. Weed is prohibited. You will still have a v-card after this night is over. Do not get in any cars with drunk or even slightly tipsy people. Try to prevent under-age drinking unless it becomes dangerous. Seven minutes in heaven isn't recomended if you want to follow the rule about your virginity. Peer pressure is terrible. Be strong to avoid it. Have fun." She looked at me with her mother/daughter-drive-to-be-protective face on.

"His name is Chris," was all I said as the door bell rang. I sprinted to the entrance before my mother could even think of moving.

She was SO not answering the door.

"Hey," I said as I pulled the heavy door open.

"Hey, Victoria," he said as my mother approached.

"Mom, this is Chris. Chris, this is my mom," I exclaimed quickly and started out the door.

I was not in the mood to be embarassed.

"Call me Emily," she said as the door swung shut.

"Well that was speedy," said Chris.

And we set out.

As we walked, I could of sworn I'd seen a guy's face looking at me from in the bushes, but I think I only imagined it because it was gone when I took a look again.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

Author's Note: Sorry for not having this up on the right date. As my status says, I have family friends over. We went up to a cabin over night. I didn't realize I'd forgotton to post until I remembered there was no wifi there. Aww foo! Sorry for any language, I'll try to make it less consistant. Thanks for reading. Now I'm going to pressure you into pressing vote. Go on now, click it!