October 24th

Hospitals are white.

Really white.

And white is quite a bleak color.

Especially when you don't really have anything to be happy about.

I mean, I was just in a car crash, I have a broken leg and billions of scars all across my body. My friends might possibly be arrested. And if not, they'll probably be grounded until eternity ends.

Either way, I won't be seeing them much. So I'm stuck with Sheldon, Ted, and the totally-safe-and-sound Cale, who escaped from pain and prison.

But is life really that? Hanging with friends? Being social?

Yeah, it kind of is.

So I'm down three of my closest friends for a while. So my life is like three points down then...

And then there is Jack.

The boy-who-shall-be-dead-but-still-live.

What is his buisness on Earth? Something unfinished? It can't be my death because he didn't guide me up to the deciding gates. He can't be here to bring me to the after-life.

So why is he still with me?

"Victoria?" asked a voice from the doorway. I glanced over from my hospital-bed. The room was empty. The shades were drawn but I'd watched the sun go down through them earlier. It was late... Really late.

"Jack," I stated.

"Victoria... I am so sorry," he said as he glided over to sit on the bed.

"For what? Warning me not to go and I didn't listen? It's my fault Jack. I should be saying I'm sorry," I said.

"No, for not being there when you needed me. I'm sorry I wasn't there to catch you when you fell. I regret not being there to keep you from closing your eyes a final time. I saw you nod off and black out. I knew it was too late, that you wouldn't make it. But look at you now!" he exclaimed.

Then, with a heavy string of sarcasm, I retorted, "Yes, I look so jolly that I could be doing backflips! I'm perfectly well! Actually, I benefitted from the experience!"

"You know what I meant," he said playfully.

"I know, baby," I said, a warm smile spreading across my face.

"I really love you, yes I do" he murmured under his breath.

"As do I," I said, "We're the perfect two."

That was a quote from our favorite poem. It's not quite famous. Actually, if I recited it, you would of never heard of it. Jack wrote it for our first anniversary.

I really love you, yes I do.

As do I. We're the perfect two.

Honey, I want you, yes I do.

As do I. We're the perfect two.

Baby, I need you, yes I do.

As do I. We're the perfect two.

So when my tears fall, I know you'll enlighten my night. I'll come to you. You'll search for me. Because I desperatly need you.

We're the perfect two.