October 30th

The Next Week

I’d spent my entire last week doing boring, agitating legal things with my dad and lots of other people.

I didn’t know the fate of my mother, but I knew it wouldn’t be good.

It did concern me; I felt no guilt at all for turning her in, though. After all, she committed murder, a federal crime. She deserved it for killing my boyfriend!

Christmas was approaching in a little more than a week. It would be my first major holiday without a parent. But we’d invited all my new friends, even the ones grounded for eternity and their families. Also, my cousins back inVermontwere coming down to visit. I was pretty pumped to see them though.

I apologized to my mother many times for turning her in, but she refused to believe that murder was the wrong action to take instead of maybe… talking to me?

So basically, I was pretty pissed at her and kind of decided she had gone mad.

My father was slowly slipping into depression. He had no idea that the real reason that his wife had asked him to be relocated was because she wanted to murder Jack. He thought it was because my mom “wanted a climate change and was sick of the snow.”

But I tried my best to cheer him. It was my idea to invite the cousins and his brothers. I stayed home from school all that week to be with him. I was his shoulder to cry on.

Meghan and Gabby came to visit a few times, bringing my school work. We were really close now. We went to the mall a few times so I could just escape for a bit.

Jack and I spent most nights laying across my bed, just sitting there, drinking in each other’s words. And that’s what we doing right now.

“Hey,Victoria? Do you thin-“ He was cut off by the shrill ring of the telephone. I rushed to pick it up, considering my father had just left to pick something up from the store.

“Hello,” I said into the speaker.

“Hello, Nia? Is this Nia Night?” said the voice. Jack sprang up from the bed at the sound of his mother, Belle Sommers.

“No, no. She’s at the police station. It’sVictoria,” I said.

“Oh my gosh, darling, are you okay? This must be so hard on you,” she said.

“I’m fine, actually. She committed murder, she deserves whatever she gets sentenced to,” I said. “Unless it’s the death penalty.”

“Oh hun, it probably won’t be. She’ll just be jailed for a while. Don’t even worry about that. Is your father home?” she asked.

“No, I’m sorry. He’ll be back in a couple minutes, though. He just ran out to buy some milk. But how are you doing, I mean without Jack and all?” I asked carefully, not wanting to hurt her.

“I’m fine,” she said, a little chocked. “Things are a lot different, now. It still hurts; I just wish he could come back and pretend nothing really happened.” I looked at Jack. He had the I-have-a-good-idea face on. I smiled.

“I’m sure he’s doing something good now,” I reassured her.

“I sure hope so,” she said, more to herself than me.

I heard my father’s car pull up and go into the garage. “My dad is home now. I’ll go get him.” And I did. I returned to my room. Jack started telling me an extravagant plan to let his mother know he really wasn’t that far gone without revealing his ghostlyhood secret.

And that’s when I knew there were other moms in the world that needed more help than mine. Moms who actually deserved the help. And one of them was going to get it.

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.

Author Note: This is the last chapter. October 31st will be an Epilogue.