Chapter 17: Too Late Now

A week had gone by since the last time I'd actually seen Isaiah. I know what you're thinking, kind of hard since he's my teacher, false. I just skipped his class the whole week or just avoided going to school at all. If I went I'd just end up in detention anyway because I wasn't exactly in a cheerful, school mood.

It had finally hit me, Isaiah had been lying. About what, I still have no idea. He hasn't tried to reach out to me either. From this point forward I was just considering myself completely single. I didn't need him, I told myself. It was never going to work; I don't know how I was crazy enough to think it would. Isaiah was twenty-five, I was only seventeen, we were just in different places in life. Obviously.

My phone buzzed next to me, ripping me from my thoughts. I'd started to ignore it but whoever it was continued to text me. Deciding to look when the buzzing had finally stopped. I strolled carefully through all the texts I had just received. Most of them were from Liz or Carter, asking me why I hadn't showed up at school yet again. A few from Colton, apologizing for falling asleep last night and not texting me back. None from Isaiah.

Disappointed, I put my phone down. I was hoping maybe just one of those messages had been from him. He could at least say sorry, anything. My phone buzzed a few more times. Instead of getting my hopes up, I prepared myself for it just being my friends.

I opened up the text without looking at the name.

"Stop looking so sad."  It read.

I glanced around my room, looking straight at the window to find a smiling Colton. I gave him a slight smile before getting up to open my window. His uncle, Mr. Turner, had given him a room that was directly across from mine. So if I open my window, and he opened his, we could just speak to each other. Even though it was a tiny distant between the two houses, I heard him fine if we both shouted a little.

"Hey." I shouted at him once he opened his window.

"Hello." A grin spread across his face as he looked over the upper half of my body which was visible to him.

"Don't stare at my boobs; it's just a tank top." I joked to cover up my slight discomfort.

"I wasn't staring, I just glanced." He shrugged his shoulders, still smiling.

"Why are you being a stalker and looking at me through my window? Colton, that's creepy." I teased, giving a smile of my own.

"Well Stac, you shouldn't be so pretty." He busted into laughter.

"Very funny." I rolled my eyes.

"Do you want to go down to that cafe' not far from here, my treat." He asked, no longer laughing but still smiling like a five year old.

"Sure, let me change. Meet me outside by my car, if it's your treat the least I can do is drive." I said, and closing my window before he could respond.

I changed into a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt, and a small leather jacket. Although the weather was changing, it was still kind of cold. Slipping on any pair of black shoes, I ran downstairs to meet Colton.

He was already seated on the passenger side when I reached my car, playing with stuff he found somewhere in my backseat.

"I don't know how you always get inside my car. I'm sure I always lock it after I get out." I started the car, glancing over at him.

"You'll never know." He snickered. "Why do you have so much stuff in your Jeep? You're a girl."

"Thanks captain obvious, I know I'm a girl." I spilled out sarcastically. "And it's just art stuff I haven't got out of my car yet, stop playing with it." I added, snatching away one of my drawing books.

We rode the rest of the way in a comfortable silence, aside from the music playing from the radio. I think it was safe to say Colton and I were becoming friends, but I knew he would be going back home once school ended so I won't be getting that close to him.

When we got to the cafe', we seated ourselves. It was full of a bunch of usual people, not necessarily packed but enough people to know our food would take a while.

"So why'd you dye your hair back?" Colton asked while taking a sip of his sweet tea.

"Just got bored I guess and I kind of got tired of people staring at me." I answered, taking a sip of my own drink.

"I personally think you looked better the other way." He kept a straight face.

I didn't respond right away because I couldn't tell if he was serious. I stared at him silently, studying his expression.

He began to laugh and I rolled my eyes, sighing and looking over my menu once again.

"You should have seen your face!" He laughed harder now, turning red even.

"It's not that funny." I growled although I'm sure my face was pretty funny.

The waiter came and took our orders and brought us more drinks. The both of us sat, laughing and making jokes about one another.

I was in the mist of laughing when the bell went off, signaling someone was entering the cafe'. My gaze shot up to the door, halting my laugh, and causing Colton to look over at the door too.

Isaiah began to walk over to our table, whispering little words to himself I suppose.

"I went to your house and you weren't there." He said to me, giving Colton a quick glance, his face paling.

"Obviously." I spat. "What can I help you with?" I asked coolly, sipping my tea.

"Can we talk?" He rubbed his hand on the back of his neck, a nervous look spread across his face.

"I'm listening." I said, still sipping my drink.

"Alone?" He said, looking over at Colton who suddenly looked confused.

"Now you wanna talk." I laughed bitterly. "Well I'm busy, as you can see."

"Come on Stacie, just give me a second." He begged.

I had no idea why I was being this mean when just an hour ago I was sitting around in my room ready to go into a depression. I ran my hand through my hair and bringing my eyes up to meet his.

"I really am busy." I said softly, breaking our gaze. "Try another time." I whispered, not looking up at him again.

"Fine." He turned on his heel, leaving the cafe' the same way he entered.

"So how about we get that food to go?" I looked up at Colton who just looked confused as hell but he didn't say anything.

"Sure that's fine." Colton said, waving over the waiter but never taking his eyes off me.

"I'll be in the car." I said, getting up and walking quickly to my car.

What a wonderful day this was turning out to be.

-Well, I wanna say this was another filler but I'm not exactly sure. I think I know where I want the story to go now, just not sure how I'm gonna do it yet. Excuse any mistakes, we all know I don't proofread often. Umm yeah, til next time :)