Chapter 5- My Mate

^^Pictures of the crew^^

"Hope is grief's best music."

Chapter 5
River's POV

Mate, mate, mate, mate! My mind screamed along with, mine, mine, mine!

One can never know how possessive they truly are until they've found something they truly wanted more than anything else in the world.

My mate. I truly wanted him more than anything else imaginable. More than the air I breathe.

Oh, what I would do to call this beautiful man mine.

My father's cruel words rang in my head, 'Mate?! You don't have a mate! Even if you did, one look at your face and she'll reject you on the spot!'

Was he going to reject me?

I felt as tears cascaded down my face.

The feeling of loss was truly indescribable. I had barely met him, yet there was nothing more I wanted than him; to have this beautiful specimen of a man hold me in his firm arms while reciting the three most beautiful words known to man.

'Worthless.'

He would never want me. River, the weak, worthless, ugly, River. Why would one as beautiful as he, ever want someone as hideous as I? Foolish, that's what I am. Foolish enough to even contemplate the idea of one as beautiful as he embracing someone as disgusting as I. Pitiful enough to torture myself with the image of something never to come.

The hope was so beautiful while it lasted.

I was suddenly pulled into the arms of the man above me. He held me firmly against his chest in an embrace so similar to the image I had previously concocted. It was so warm. So much better than I had previously imagined. Though, as firm and toned as he was, he was also strangely soft, so cozy. I hid my face in his chest, as he walked towards Wayne. I began to shake as we got closer and closer. My mind raced a mile a minute, taking my hope with it as it raced to the finish line.

Was he giving me back to him? Was this his way of rejecting me, by handing me over to death himself? I'm going to die...

"I'm not going to let him hurt you." He whispered softly in my ear. His voice was so soft, so soothing, like a gentle breeze on a spring day.

My mind went blank.

Wait, what?

"Y-your M-majesty, I-I c-can explain."

"Oh, I'm sure you can," My mate growled, "please, go ahead, explain to me how attempting to kill my mate seemed slightly intelligent on your part."

"M-mate," the man stammered, "Y-your M-majesty I h-had no idea-" I heard a crunch as the scary man wallowed in pain. I tried to lift my head to see the fallen man but my mate held me tightly to his chest in a firm, protective hold.

"This is not something for you to see, beautiful." My mate whispered softly in my ear as he gently stroked my hair.

Beautiful? He's not...I'm not...if anything it should be the opposite. I should be calling him the beautiful one not the other way around.

"Take care of him and send all these people free." My mate called to someone as he jumped from the carriage, landing with a thump. I cried out as my stomach convulsed in pain.

"What is it? Where does it hurt?" My mate asked frantically as his eyes roamed my body.

"My...stomach..." I managed through deep breaths as I squeezed into a small ball, holding my stomach in an attempt to lull the pain.