Chapter 8- Saying Goodbye

^^Michael and Keith^^

"I want to be your favorite hello and your hardest goodbye."

Chapter 8

River's POV

I woke up with a beating headache and crusty eyes. To think that even in my dreams I cry.

Pathetic.

I had no recollection of my dream, but from the way my head felt like it might just split in two and the ways my eyes burned, I could deduct that it wasn't a good one.

I wonder if one were to continuously cry, would the person's tears eventually leave tear tracks down their face? Is it possible for one to cry so much to the point that their tears would leave an engraved like track down their face, as proof of their many sorrows? If so, I wonder if I was on a journey to that point; a point where my tears would forever be engraved in my face.

I wonder, would one wear their tears as one wears a battle scar?

A tweeting like a melody resounded from the window beside me.

How beautiful.

I hummed along with the musical creatures outside.

"You have a beautiful voice."

I jumped, pivoting towards the voice.

"Good morning, love. Did you sleep well?" Alastair's hazel eyes shone brightly in the sunlight rays. I was afraid to speak, as at the moment I was blinded by his beauty, if not careful I would declare my undying love to the man without thinking.

He smiled fondly at me as he pushed a stray lock behind my ear. "You must still be tired," his eyes were so sad, so remorseful. "Why don't you get some more rest. I'll bring you some tea. How does that sound?"

I loved tea. Tea was my favorite drink to drink back at home. It was the only exotic-like product I could actually have as at the market most teas were quite cheap and affordable.

I nodded my head, giving him a small smile.

He smiled back, "Okay, love. I'll be right back," he kissed my forehead gently before sitting up from beside me and leaving the room.

I watched his back as he left before turning back to the window.

The musical creatures continued their melodies to one another as I watched.

Sometimes I wished I was a bird. To be able to take flight when a situation became one I couldn't handle. To have no care in the world, as I fly high in the skies singing with my brethren.

But then, I realized, I did have that or at least our kind used to. Before shifting became outlawed, many of our brethren would run in packs, which is quite similar to the birds outside; the freedom to run as they pleased, hunting with their brethren. The only problems they faced were but ones they created on their own, rogues and other packs alike.

However, wars brewed over pack land and rogue invasions; caused by power hungry alphas and vengeful rogues. Eventually, our ancestors created pack law, which ironically destroyed the concept of packs. No longer were people allowed to shift unless given permission. Permission that was usually granted to only royalty and knights. They believed that by only granting a small, selected group shifting rights, it would prevent wars and people going, rogue. Though, I'm not quite sure of either, but who am I to say anything.

However, this now resulted into the society we have today, no longer are we packs of wolves with many leaders at constant war with one another, but set kingdoms with a common king.