Chapter 52- The Mating Party part 1

^^River in white xD^^

Hey, guys! So I decided to split the mating party into two parts because it came out much longer than I thought it was going to be. This part alone is almost 3300 words. Enjoy~!

Chapter 52

River's POV

Gold tapestries hung from the walls, silk against stone walls as the palace doors flooded in with nobles and dukes alike. It was the day before the mating ceremony and the palace was in a state of havoc, maids ran back and forth in a flurry of hysteria as the kitchen hurried to finish their menu in time for the first party.

It was customary for the royal couple to hold two parties, one before and one after the mating ceremony, representing the couple's status changing from before and after the ceremony. Though I viewed it as nothing but an excuse for the nobles and dukes to suck up to their prince. A chance to gain access to his favor right before he becomes king and then a second time to be the first to speak to him on his first day as king.

It didn't seem quite fair for the nobles and dukes to have all this access to him when the peasants and commoners didn't. They all should get a chance to personally speak to their ruler.

My hand tightened against the arm chair as I sat in Alastair's study, watching as he finished some last-minute paperwork. Ink stuck to his fingertips as he immersed himself in his work, teeth chewing on his upper lip as his eyes narrowed at his starched paper.

"Alastair," he turned to the sound my voice.

"Yes?"

"Pass me some of your pile and I will help," I motioned with my hands as I eyed the large pile beside him on the desk.

He eyed the pile with a sigh.

"You can read over the ones dealing with politics while I read over the easier requests," he remained silent, quill in hand, "I've helped you with paperwork previously have I not?"

He nodded as his fingers searched through the piles, pulling a couple papers from within, "Here," he slid a couple in front of me as I scooted my chair closer to his desk, "these deal with commoner requests. They should be rather easier than foreign affairs."

I nodded as I took a quill and got to work.

It was after a couple dozens of papers that I came upon a request from an orphanage in Westgate.

My eyes popped beneath the inked words. The poor children didn't have enough blankets and linens for the wintertime along with enough money for coal which had risen in price in the last month since winter was on the horizon.

A request for eighty pounds.

It was definitely a large amount, enough money to feed a large family for a very long time but it wouldn't break the royal treasury.

I dipped the quill into the small container of ink, signing the royal signature by the line as I placed in the pile along with the other accepted requests. Just as my fingers brushed against the next paper a knock resounded against the door.

"Come in," Alastair's voice rose as his eyes remained on a document, fingers tapping against the hardwood desk.

My eyes pulled from him to the door as it screeched open, revealing the face of a maid.

"The party is going to begin in an hour. His Highness sent me to remind you to be punctual," her words came out shaky as his Alastair's eyes rose from the parchment with a narrowed gaze.

"Tell him not to worry," his voice came out ragged, exhausted, "I will not be late to my own mating dinner."

The maid nodded, scurrying out of the room and shutting the door as Alastair returned to his work.