Chapter 70- To Hope and To Beyond

"Despise not death, but welcome it, for nature wills it like all else."

  ~Marcus Aurelius

Chapter 70

To Hope and To Beyond

River's POV

My eyes squeezed shut, a shuddered breath falling from my lips as Alastair's hands gently rubbed against my back. Tears collected around the edges of my eyes as I warded off the fear that was now pounding hard in my chest.

It was so real now. The reality of this all was beginning to set in and my instincts were shrieking for me to run but to where? There was nowhere to hide anymore. Council members sat patiently in front of the stage, their eyes burning into Alastair and me.

What person would want to sit front row to a hanging?

Bile formed in my throat as my eyes lifted from Alastair's back to the dark glares of those before me. Black cloaks covered all, yet concealed none.

My eyes could do nothing but waver beneath the raging blaze of my attainers, their glares nothing more than fire to the rope that was soon to end me.

My throat grew suddenly dry. My nails dug into Alastair's back as an almost silent cry escaped my throat and buried itself in Alastair's shirt. Though to my love, it did not go unnoticed.

His lips brushed lightly below my ear before an unsteady breath fell past his lips.

"I'm so sorry, beautiful."

I nodded against his shirt.

Why apologize? It was far too late for apologies.

My eyes wandered past the stage, watching as a sprinkle of stars began to light up the darkening sky. Splashes of blues and dark purples swirled around the sky, painting it in solemn colors that seemed the equally match the mood radiating from the stage.

I felt a prickle against my face and I peered up, catching Isaiah's eyes. I nearly gasped at the sight of him. His eyes were puffed up and red, practically swollen shut as he gazed up at me. To his side sat Derek, with his hand tightly woven around Isaiah's. The minute Isaiah's eyes locked with mine he began to shake, his bottom lip quivering as a gasped cry escaped his throat.

Councilmen turned in their seats, eyeing Isaiah's crying form with looks of disapproval.

My eyes continued eyeing the audience, coming upon both Keith and Michael merely a few seats down from Isaiah and Derek. It appeared that they separated the councilmen and royalty. Neither Michael nor Keith were crying but Michael appeared seconds from murdering someone. His eyes were narrowed and fingernails were digging harshly into his biceps. Keith sat silently by his mate's side, eyes glazed over, mind wandering.

What is he thinking about? I could only wonder.

Merely Royals and councilmen lined around the wooden stage. Neither Hyde nor the guards who had followed behind us earlier appeared in the radius. Perhaps they saw no point to bringing a defense when I was already but a few centimeters from the noose.

Was an escape so feasible that they didn't even bother with guards?

"Time," a deep voice rumbled behind me followed by a series of harsh steps.

A deep growl rumbled in Alastair's throat as he eyed a form behind me.

"You will not touch him," Alastair hissed between his teeth, "I will do it. You will watch."

The steps stopped and turned, growing farther away to the back of the stage.

Alastair's hands reached behind me, grasping at something as he laid a light kiss on my lips. I closed my eyes, a shuddered breath falling past my lips as I felt something prickle against my neck.