Chapter 60- Tub of Tears

"I will always be yours. Even when you don't want me."

Chapter 60

Luna's POV

My ears fell as my jaw slackened.

My feet tingled against the fur carpeting as I lifted myself to get a better look at the man before me. Ever since I'd taken control, I'd been waiting for my mate to shift as well. Though as I peered up at the black-haired man, my mate was nowhere to be seen within such cold, calculating eyes.

I had already scent marked him earlier, ideal for drawing my mate out. Yet he remained hidden within his human counterpart. It was customary for my mate to shift alongside me, to mate with me. Our humans had already done their part. Now it was our turn. Yet he wasn't shifting.

Was he afraid to come out?

My head turned to the side, observing him. He twitched in place, startling me as he narrowed his eyes and cupped his chest.

Is he hurt? Is that why he won't come out?

I lifted my nose, drawing in a short breath. I didn't smell any blood.

A light thumping pulled my attention to the door. The blond-haired man stood by the door, hand on the knob as he watched me through careful eyes. He wasn't a very careful man. One who was clearly quick to act and short to think as I realized the moment he rose his hand out to me in a sign of submission. A hand outstretched like that, any wolf would have taken the initiative to attack but I was never one for aggression so I merely checked his scent. A slight dose of fear was there but not overwhelming enough to cloud my judgment. He appeared harmless yet his words confused me.

As he spoke more and more to our mate about powders and medicines, I found myself growing more and more suspicious of him. I felt myself going on edge, my head spinning. My claws dug into the hard flooring as I felt myself slowly descending to the floor. My head rested against the furs lining around the bed as my ears twitched, hearing a door slam shut followed by heavy footsteps on the other side, growing more and more silent by the minute.

I peered up, confusion reigning me as I watched my mate stand from afar. His eyes were pulled so narrow, jaw so tight. His body language worried me.

Perhaps he didn't want to mate me.

A soft whine pulled from my snout.

River stirred unhappily in the back of my mind. He didn't seem to rather enjoy my pessimistic thoughts. Though he wasn't one to talk.

You cannot blame me. Watch how your mate responds to me.

Our mate, River corrected.

He has not mated me, merely you. Clearly, he's excluded me from our mating.

I pressed as I took a slow step forward and watched as the man's stance tensed.

That's only because he fears you a little, River tried to explain.

Me?

I couldn't wrap my head around it. An alpha male fearing a mere middle rank and his own mate to top it off. What did he have to fear?

Well, you did growl before, River muttered.

A strange creature appeared in my territory, any sane wolf would do the same.

I thought back to how I had scent-marked the blond man. I was tempted to urinate on him to make for certain that he was marked but River nearly had a panic attack by the thought so I settled on mere scent rolling, I did the same for our human as well. Though I would have felt more reassured had River allowed me to mark them normally.