Chapter 43- Ogres That Lay in the Dark

^^Sad River^^

"Evil lurks in the places you would never imagine and tries to charm its way into your life."

*As a super duper apology for the lateness of my chapters these past two weeks, this chapter is extra duper long (4405 words).

Chapter 43

River's POV

My eyes cracked open lazily, arms cocooned to my side as the bed vibrated beneath me. I zoned out for a few seconds, blinking away the drowsiness of early morning, before pivoting quickly to the side to face Alastair. His face pinched in a distraught-like manner as his body trembled beneath the silken sheets. The sheets laid just above his waist, barely covering much at all as arms wrapped tightly around his chest as, teeth grinding together.

I contemplated shaking him for a few minutes before deciding that the last thing he needed was to be shaken awake. Instead, I took a gentler route.

I leaned close on my side, as I laid a soft kiss on his cheek.

"Alastair," I whispered in his ear.

Silence met my ears in a familiar manner as his body shook in response, teeth continuing their previous clattering.

My fingers brushed across his face as it scrunched in pain.

What are you dreaming of, my love?

My lips brushed down his neck, slow and light as a butterfly's wings. My eyes closed, lashes brushing down his nape as my fingers slid lightly across his chest. That seemed to wake him as a low groan escaped his mouth, eyes slowly squinting open. His body immediately tensed, eyes roaming the room as he silently laid in bed.

"Alastair?" I whispered softly.

His head turned to face me, "River?" He peered quizzically at me as if confused by my presence.

Who else would be touching you in your sleep?

My heart tightened in my chest.

His eyes wandered my face as my eyes set on the paper square still sitting on our night table, haunting me with last night's dramas.

"How are you feeling?" I managed, turning my attention back to him.

"Better," his voice came out ragged, breath hitching slightly as he turned where I had, eyeing the paper square.

Don't look.

I raked my fingers through his thick hair, turning his attention back to me as I laid a light kiss on his cheek.

"Maybe you shouldn't take it again. Clearly, you don't react well to it-"

"No," his voice came out hoarsely, "I don't have a choice, love. It's either this or..."

I nodded.

His wolf.

A knock resounded at the door as the door creaked open.

Alastair shot straight in the bed as his voice rose, "Do not enter without permission." He barked, eyes digging into the poor creature on the other side.

Whoever it was slammed the door, footsteps growing farther and farther away from the sound of whispering maids filled the hall outside the room.

"...What's wrong?" I asked fingers wrapped tightly around the silken sheets.

Why did he raise his voice? He hadn't reacted in such a manner when they had done it in the past.

"Nothing," he sighed, lifting himself from the bed.