Chapter 30- The Duke's Estate

^^This song has been on replay all week- sooo good!!! XD^^

Chapter 30

River's POV

I laid, curled to Alastair's chest, as Alastair's eyes faced forward, riding with vigor as we raced past moving greenery.

I was shell shocked. I couldn't quite process what had just occurred. It all happened so quickly, far too quickly. I didn't speak, neither of us did. We both gained comfort by one another's warmth rather than voicing what had just occurred. I wasn't quite sure what to take of what happened. Was it a bad omen? Was I supposed to take that as a sign of what was awaiting us in this new town?

I squeezed my eyes shut, burying myself in Alastair's heat.

I almost...he could've...

"Who goes there?" A voice called.

I peeked up from Alastair's chest. A tall, dark gate laid before us. Men surrounded it in shells of armor and weaponry, each eyeing Alastair and me through narrowed eyes and raised swords.

"It is I, your prince, Alastair."

The men's eyes widened as they all dropped to the ground. I jumped at the sudden movement, hands gripping Alastair's blood-caked shirt. I felt his fingers rub soft circles in my waist as he dropped one hand from the reigns. His eyes swept across the bent heads of the men as they each clenched a fist to their chests.

"You may rise."

They all did so with great speed, each peering at one another as they placed their swords back in their sheaths.

"I'm going to step off of the horse," Alastair whispered in my ear as he gently pried my fingers from his shirt.

I nodded. He smiled and squeezed my hand before his warmth separated from mine. I watched as he swept off the horse with a grace I could only admire with wide eyes. His arms extended towards me as he ushered me to jump into his outstretched arms. I quivered slightly.

What if I fall and break my head open? What if I don't land in his arms?

"Come, love," he said softly.

The men by the gate peered at me through curious eyes as they watched Alastair and I's exchange.

I took a deep breath, not allowing myself to think for a moment, as I dropped from the horse. A pathetic squeak escaped my mouth as I landed in Alastair's awaiting arms.

"Y-you caught me," I breathed, wrapping my arms around his neck and burying my face in the crook of his neck with a relieved sigh.

"It wounds me that you'd think I would ever drop you," he laughed as he left a light kiss against my shoulder, soft lips against quivering skin.

One arm wrapped around my waist as the other rubbed soothing soft circles on my back.

"As many of you have probably picked up, I hadn't ridden here merrily on horseback. My carriage was attacked on the road here," a series of gasps ensued, "my horsemen were slaughtered by a barbaric pair, leaving me to travel merrily by horseback. Is this a common occurrence in your town?"

I peeked my head over his shoulder to see a series of nods. They seemed almost embarrassed as they peered downcasted at the confession.

"Hmm, is Sir James still in charge here?"

They all peered at one another with quizzical looks.

"I'll take that as a no," he sighed, his gentle hand pulling from my back to rake through his hair.