Chapter 16- Satan Returns

^^ I wrote the chapter to this song ^^

A/N: Hey guys!! I'm so sorry, I didn't have wifi until now to dedicate this chapter but now I do *cheers* The winner is...drum roll please! Maddie!!!! *throws confetti* The new official ship name for Alastair and River is Rivastair - I love it!!! xD Hope you guys all have an amazing Thursday!! *blows kisses* <3

"Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light"

Chapter 16

River's POV

People say that on the day of your mating ceremony you wake up with a halo floating above your head, birds chirp blissfully outside your window sill, a humming melody plays in your head, and that you walk with a jump to your step.

The day I awoke it seemed as if clouds surrounded the palace in a halo of sorrow. The air inside our once comforting room seemed almost suffocating. My bones seemed to creak with every movement I made. My gut seemed to scream in utter anguish from the moment I had awoken to now as I laid in a heated bath as maids surrounded me in sponges of lavender and vanilla. One would think the act of bathing in perfumes under candle light would be relaxing but it was anything but. I felt as if something was coming. Something harrowing was brewing in the palace like a hidden beast awaiting the moment when I least expect it to pounce.

I was in a constant state of anxiety and fear. Of what? I wasn't sure. That was the problem amongst itself. Here I laid in a state of fear of an invisible foe. No way to prepare for the battle about to arise. No. I was to walk into battle with a white flag of desperation.

"Your Highness?"

"Yes?"

I still wasn't quite used to answering to such a title that sometimes I would forget to.

"You seem to be quite lost in your own thoughts," the maidservants giggled, "envisioning your ceremony, I'm assuming?" The brave maid asked with a teasing smile.

To think my state of anxiety could be misinterpreted as excitement.

I put on a fake smile, "Ah, yes...I'm quite..excited for the event."

The maidservants peered at one another as they poured perfumed liquids into the heated tub with giggles and side looks.

Another peered up at me with big eyes and a quirked smile, "What's he like..? His Highness, I mean..?"

I scrunched my brows in confusion before answering, "Do you not know who your own soon-to-be king is like..?"

"Oh no, Your Highness," she giggled, "Each maid is assigned to a specific royal. I was brought here to serve you, no other."

"You mean, you've never seen another royal besides I?"

"Of course not, Your Highness," she said it as if it were obvious, but I was extremely puzzled by her statement.

I peered around the room at the other maidservants by the tub peering up at me with large eyes of curiosity.

"Are all of you only here for me?" I asked mystified. They all nodded.

"But what of those who work in the kitchen? Surely they see all those they serve."

They shook their heads. A small brunette spoke up, "No, Your Highness, those who work in the kitchen remain there unless asked for as a bed warmer."

"Bed warmer?" I asked horrified, "You've been asked to sleep unwillingly by men?" I peered at the faces of the poor girls around me.

"No, Your Highness," she giggled followed by small giggles across the bathing room, "We aren't forced, you may decline. However, when asked by a royal there are not many who would decline." She implied suggestively.