Chapter 48- Death in the Town's Square

^^What I imagine the royal cloak to look like^^

"Death is the wish of some, the relief of many, and the end of all."

Chapter 48

River's POV

The soft whisper of fingers swept across my cheek as my eyes fluttered open. The fuzzy image of a smiling Alastair filled my vision as I squinted and blinked with a hiss. My eyes burnt and felt crusty around the edges from my previous crying and the ray of sunlight filtering in through the window wasn't helping.

"No," I pouted, pulling the covers over my head and shutting myself from the light.

Laughter broke from Alastair's throat as he laid outside the covers, beside me as I stole all the covers and cocooned myself amidst the thick cushioning.

"Love, it's time to wake up," he breathed through a fit of laughter as he began pulled the blanket off of me.

"No," I screeched through muffled sheets as I attempted to fight against him yet ultimately lost as he yanked the blanket off my pouting form and kissed me on the nose.

"Good morning, love."

I merely huffed, ignoring his pleasantry and turning over.

He let out a breath and began running his fingers down my spine, "It's an important day today. Father has called us to the square for the hanging. If you feel uncomfortable going I can always..."

My eyes widened, thoughts drowning out his words as realization hit me.

The hanging. That's today?

I jumped up, startling Alastair as his eyes briefly widened before reaching for me.

"There's nothing for you to be worried about, love." He stated as he pulled me closer by my hips until our toes almost touched. "If you feel uncomfortable watching you can always turn away or bury yourself in my cloak-"

"Cloak?"

"Yes, it's a custom for the royal family to come dressed in a black cloak with the royal seal embroidered on the chest to every hanging. It's to represent the sadness of the nation for having to kill their own and to represent the sin we have now lifted from him by redeeming him through death."

"I'm am going to be wearing one?"

He was silent for a few moments, "We haven't had our mating ceremony yet, love, so officially you aren't considered part of the royal family yet. You wouldn't be allowed to wear one."

"Oh." I didn't quite know what else to say. That meant officially, I wasn't Alastair's mate yet. That didn't sit well with me.

We'd attempted to have a mating ceremony quite a number of months ago but because of my father's surprise appearance and my own inner anxiety, it hadn't been completed. I regretted that. I regretted not going through with it.

If I had, I would officially be his mate right now.

The soft feel of gentle fingers against my chin, lifting me up pulled me from my thoughts as Alastair ran a gentle hand through my hair.

"That doesn't make you any less of my mate," his eyes bore into mine, "Mating ceremony or not you're still my mate."

I nodded.

Was I? Without a mating ceremony, what tied him to me?

Just then, he stood up and lifted himself from the bed.

"I am going to go dress. You should as well, love." He nodded towards my wardrobe as he made his way towards his.

I lifted myself from the bed as I watched his shuffling from the corner of my eye. He pulled out a handsome attire as I watched him pulled a long, black cloak from within, besides a similar cloak of similar embroidery but of smaller length.