Chapter 28- A War in the Making

^^Alastair's sexy self^^

Chapter 28

River's POV

My head rested against Alastair's thigh as my fingers played with his, fingers gliding against fingers in a playful display of affection.

"Your fingers are so big," I laughed as my fingers brushed lightly against his.

It was like a child holding his father's hand; that's how large his was in comparison to mine.

"No, yours are just abnormally tiny," he brought my hand to his lips, softly brushing against my fingertips as if that somehow proved his point.

I pouted, "they're not that tiny."

He laughed, "Sure, love."

Light kisses led to playful bites as his teeth snapped at my fingers. I screeched, pulling my hands from his grip as my body tipped backward, almost falling from the bed, but Alastair's quick arms wrapped around my waist before I could tumble to the hard flooring.

Alastair's soothing laughter filled my ears as he pulled me to his chest and kissed the crown of my head. My hands pushed against his chest as he left slobbery kisses against my head.

"S-stop!" I squeaked.

His laughter was interrupted by a sudden knocking at the door. Alastair's face fell from its bright grin to a solemn, stone-faced persona. And just like that, our teasing games had ended. He called in the knocker as his arms dropped from around me.

A maid entered, "Excuse the interruption, Your Majesty," she curtseyed in front of the bed before lifting her head, eyes slightly downward gazed.

Why did some of the maids seem so afraid of Alastair? Either they were frightened by him or they wanted to bed him. Such strange women.

"Speak."

She looked up from the floor, "His Highness requests your presence."

I peered from the maid back at Alastair, whose eyes had now begun to narrow.

"For what purpose?"

"Your royal father hadn't specified the purpose, Your Majesty," she peered down at the floor, as if afraid of being lashed for her lack of knowledge.

The deja vu of the situation hit me square in the face, except the girl being I and Alastair being...my father.

Alastair opened his mouth but instead I spoke, "That's alright," I took Alastair's white-knuckled hand in mine, "thank you. Tell him he'll be there shortly," I smiled in an attempt to calm the poor maid's nerves.

"We," Alastair corrected.

The maid appeared confused by Alastair's sudden declaration as she peered back at me as if I would somehow be of any help.

"Tell him we'll be there shortly."

She nodded, wide-eyed, as she gave a brief courtesy and rushed out the, still open, door.

"Alastair-"

"Come, we must dress," he lifted me from the bed, pulling random articles of clothing from my wardrobe and shoving them into my arms.

I stared at the clothing, not quite sure what to do. His father asked for only him. Surely I would be intruding, would I not?

"Love, your clothes cannot magically appear on your body. You must first put them on," Alastair peered at me with a quirked brow.

I placed the articles on the bed and began undressing, watching Alastair as he hurried to throw on all his clothes at once. I held back a snort as he attempted to shove his shoes on without untying them. It was like watching a kitten attempting to fit in a small fish bowl as he wobbled to and thro, balancing on one foot.