Chapter 68- Storytime

"In the end, we'll all become stories."

                      ~Margaret Atwood

Chapter 68

Storytime

River's POV

I sat beside the cell door, bread in hand as I peered through the bars at Sam as he spoke.

"And then," Sam snorted in laughter, "he just fell. Just like that. Right down the tree."

I nearly choked on my bread as I snorted, cupping my mouth as a few crumbs splurted out.

"Careful, careful," Sam laughed, raising his hands like a shield against pelleted bread pieces.

I shook my head, taking deep breaths as I quickly swallowed the bread before I could spray it all over Sam's armor.

When I finally pushed the last of the bread down my throat, I spoke.

"Was your brother okay?"

Sam's head tipped to the side, "well, no major injuries but I always do say his stupidity comes from bashing his head on the way down that tree."

I shook my head with another released laugh.

"And he agrees?" I raised a playful brow.

"Oh, Goddess no," he scoffed, "Matthew is as stubborn as a mule. He agrees to constantly disagree. You could be stating that...that," he points to my bread, "is bread and he'll somehow find a way to disagree with you."

I raised a brow, "that sounds annoying."

"Oh, it is," Sam sighed, "but that's just Matthew."

"Do you have any other siblings?"

"Nope," Sam said, popping the 'p', "just me and Matthew."

"Sounds like you guys are close," I smiled.

"Yeah, we are and ironically, though I may be the older one, Matthew has always been more of the father figure," Sam said, scratching the back of his neck, "y'know?"

I wasn't sure how to reply so I just nodded.

"So what about you?" Sam asked, "do you have any older or younger siblings?"

"No, I'm an only child," I picked at the bread.

"Ooh," Sam raised his brows, "got all the attention, huh?"

"Something like that," I swallowed with a quivered breath.

Loud, harsh footsteps filled the jailhouse, interrupting my solemn thoughts. Waves of anxiety filled the small space. Guards wrapped in armor and shield pressed against the walls, shying away from the looming figure growing closer and closer to my cell.

I lifted myself slowly from the ground, approaching the bars to view the figure. My eyes latched on a familiar hazel hue and my breath caught in my throat as my eyes ran over the darkening bags below his eyes. His jaw was set tight, fists tightly weaved like two whitened balls of anger.

Sam stepped forward, hands shaking slightly as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a key. He carefully turned the lock, snapping it open before quickly escaping to the nearest corner.

The figure rounded the corner, entering my small cell without a thought. My eyes lifted up to his face, brows pulling at the visible strain across his face. My hands reached up, cupping his face.

"What's wrong, love?" I whispered.

A released breath fell past his lips and he shook his head. His head dropped to my shoulder as his arms enveloped me, pulling me close as another choked sigh fell past his lips.