Chapter 38- Taken or Freed?

"Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs."

          -William Shakespeare

Chapter 38

River's POV

I listened in as Anna and Melisa giggled lightly with one another, deep in conversation about something I was completely oblivious to. I'd lost my attention to the conversation long ago, leaving me as I was now, peering out the speckled side window, watching as dozens upon dozens of men ran back and forth, carrying heaps and heaps of objects.

What is going on?

I squinted my eyes, hoping perhaps to see what they were carrying better. But to no avail, I couldn't make out much through the dirt speckled glass. I sighed, pressing my hands to my face as my mind wandered.

The days here flew by with no trace of my discovery by anyone. The days and nights clashed into one in this dark abyss of a surrounding. Counting days has become near impossible. At this point, I had no idea how long we'd been here and it seemed as if no one bothered to keep track of the days down here, judging by the blank stares I'd get whenever I'd gain the courage to ask. They had large wax candles to keep track of meal times but date-wise they were completely blind. I couldn't understand why. Why would one not want to keep track of dates?

"Melisa?" I asked turning to her hunched over figure, whispering in Anna's ear.

She pulled from Anna with a raised bow, "Yes?"

"Why is it that there is no way of telling the date down here?"

Her mouth tightened, "There are rules down here. That is one of them. When you leave your life behind, you leave time as well."

"Why-"

"Why are you questioning our system so much?" Her voice raised accusingly, "That's about the third time you've asked that question."

"I just..." I stumbled over my words, "I was just curious about the date," I mumbled.

"Why?" Her eyes narrowed, "what are you counting towards?"

My freedom.

"His birthday is soon," Anna interrupted in her attempt to save me.

...What?

"Oh, really!" Melisa went from scowl-faced to excited in mere moments, "When?"

I froze.

"Umm..." February 21st.

"July 24th," Anna pushed out.

Melisa seemed to turn into a flurry of excitement as I sent Anna an alarmed expression to which she answered with wide eyes and a nervous smile.

July 24th was the day we were taken. It had already passed. Anna was so quick to immediately answer that she had probably just named the first date that popped into her head. The day we were taken.

Melisa, however, didn't seem to realize Anna's mishap, probably from her lack of knowledge of the actual date, and continued on in a flurry of excitement, speaking of cakes and candles as Anna and I attempted to play off nonchalance.

Thank goddess she had no idea what the actual date was or she would have caught us immediately in our act.

"I don't know when that actually is, but why don't we celebrate it the day after tomorrow?" Melisa asked, "After all, we need to give everyone a bit of a notice first, especially the kitchen."

"Umm..."

"That'd be great!" Anna chirped, "You'll come and visit me again in two days, River, won't you?"