Chapter 36- When Facts Blur

^^ Naww, don't be sad baby :,( ^^

"Those we love don't go away,
they walk besides us every day.
Unseen, unheard, but always near;
still loved, still missed and very dear."

Chapter 36

River's POV

I could barely breathe, barely speak as my mouth moved. Words, small incoherent sounds each coming out more strangled than the next.

Alice's brows pulled together, lips forming a line as she eyed me, "how do you know that name?"

All words escaped me as I peered quizzically at her, "...What do you mean?"

"Exactly as I said," Alice growled, "how the hell do you know that name!"

At this point I was searching her face, attempting to find whatever it was she was implying.

"How could I not?" I breathed, "You're one of my closest friends."

Her teeth clenched.

Was she mad at me...?

"I-I'm so sorry for what happened," my words rushed out, voice trembling, "I promise I didn't mean to leave you. I was taken by my mate and then no matter how much I searched...," my voice cracked as I rubbed at my eyes. Her eyes widened, "I'm so sorry," I breathed.

"I," she paused, "...I don't know what the hell you're talking about."

My eyes widened.

Oh god, she is mad at me.

"Please," I pleaded, "please don't be mad at me. I'm so sorry-"

She held up a hand and I immediately shut up.

"I...I'm not..." she sighed as my brow rose in confusion, "My name is Melina," my hand pulled to my mouth as I took in a strained breath, "Alice..." she choked, "...that's the name of my twin. My dead twin."

The world spotted, my vision turning blurry as I choked on a sob, "N-no..."

My hand hushed my cries as Melina watched me, eyes glistening with tears as she watched me weep my heart out.

"W-when?" I choked.

"A little over two years ago."

Two years ago.

...Two years ago. That can't be right. It's only been a little over five months since my captivity.

I watched her rub at her eyes as I rested against a cool stove, hand on my chin as my mind filled with confusion.

"That can't be true."

Her eyes narrowed as she sniffed, "Are you calling me a liar?"

"N-no," I waved my hands, "it's just...the last time I had seen her was a little over five months ago."

She shook her head, "that can't be true. She's been dead for over two years. You must be talking about a different Alice then."

Her eyes were downcast as she continued to rub avidly at her eyes.

"She looked exactly like you. The same dirty blond hair, hazel eyes...everything. You're identical to her. It can't possibly be anyone else," I exclaimed.

I couldn't take my eyes off her.

How could she not be Alice...? They look exactly alike. They must be identical twins.

"What?" She asked, head tilted.

"It's just..." I managed. "You look exactly like her."

She started laughing, "Well, we are twins. But we're not identical."